What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2 Newall DRO Fitment

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi folk

While I'm still having issues with the X-axis on my recently aquired FP2 I've used some time to a DRO.

Having looked at DRO systems over the years I've always shied away from fitting one. However having had quotes of GBP/£400+ for a DRO fitter I elected to "bite the bullet" and do it myself.

I got various quotes for a NEWALL 3 Axis system with a DP700 Display Readout Unit and Microsyn 2G scales. Price wise, believe it or not MSC J&L were by far the best seller.

So here we go ... "Y-Axis" first as it seemed the most straight forward. I should also add that my machine in a previous life had had a DRO fitted so I tried to use existing holes where possible.

Anyway here's the images.

y-axis01.jpg y-axis02.jpg y-axis03.jpg y-axis04.jpg

Due to the Newall rail fittings I elected to make use of the mill's X,Y and Z 10mm tracks.

John :typing:

Finally the "Z-Axis" ... this was a 50/50 choice left or righthand side. I've viewed various person's fittings and decided on the righthand side. Again I used two existing tapped holes below the axis locking lever and it seems to have worked for the reader bracket.

On this axis, the Newall rail attachment blocks didn't work for me so I machined my own and got a better result.

z-axis01.jpg z-axis03.jpg z-axis04.jpg

I machined the display unit arm from 15mm aluminium and again used the 10mm machine rail slots ...

xyz-axis01.jpg xyz-axis02.jpg

Finally I had to route the cables, in some cases using existing holes. Newall supply both metal and plastic P Clips for the cables but I thought they were very average so I bought better stainless ones with a rubber sheath.

John :typing::cheers:

Last edited:
Very neat installation!

One comment only if I may. Not sure looking at the photos but I think your X head protrudes a bit from the vertical table's face plane. This might be an issue when mounting the dividing head on the vertical table directly, and will be an issue if you want to mount your angle table as low as possible. Not needed everyday, but there might be a case when you'll need all the Z headroom you can get and even more....

BR,
Thanos

Morning Thanos

Thank you for your comments and observations:)

I must confess that I had completey overlooked the possibility of needing to mount the Deckel DH but that said although I have one it gathers dust in the cupboard and its never been used.

I regularly use a Walter UH-100E with a 100mm 3 or 4 Jaw chuck or a Hardinge HV-4N 5C collet Indexer.

With time on my hands though I will look at "Modification A" to give me full capability should I need "ever" it.

As for the "Z" axis, my reader scale is more than long enough will allow me to go much higher even if I take the bellows off.

All the best from a cold East of England

John:cheers:

John:
Nice fit up. See you did it proper on the "X" moving the reading head off center away from the "Z" hand wheel so that the scales can be moved that direction and not be an interference with your hands when the
table is moved far right....

Think the Newell stuff is pretty nice. Liker the size of the scales, small and relatively easy to mount....think they do well in dirty environments.

Just my personal thing...i absolutely hate those membrane key surfaces....Sorry!

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers Ross

Hi Ross

Thanks for your comments:)

I have to say the Newall system was a pleasure to fit and yes Newall advertise heavy wear to their rails and back their system with a 5 year guarantee which is not to be sniffed at.

As for membrane key surfaces - I know exactly where you're coming from but for the money I can cope with that :)

... and as Thanos found a flaw in my installation ... Newall make it so easy to modify.

John :cheers:

It looks like a neat setup, I had never seen scales like that before. I do wonder why the majority of people seem to put their Y-scales on the door side of the machine?

Mine is on the operator side and it seems to be a perfectly fine place to put it IMO, uses the slot on that side which I don't think would get much usage otherwise and on the door side there are the stops which complicate the mount.

It looks like a neat setup, I had never seen scales like that before. I do wonder why the majority of people seem to put their Y-scales on the door side of the machine?

Mine is on the operator side and it seems to be a perfectly fine place to put it IMO, uses the slot on that side which I don't think would get much usage otherwise and on the door side there are the stops which complicate the mount.

Hi Dennis - Thanks for your comments :)

For me the door side was the natural choice as it was clear and unlike some I didn't have to relocate the coolant/suds system.

On the Op side the handwheel for the horizontal spindle needs room and I wanted the bracket for the DRO display to utilise the 10mm machine slot.

As for the Newall 2G Microsyn system, IMO it's a dream to fit, the reader rails are a lot more resistant to dirt (they actually can be submersed) and the warrenty is 5 years.

John :cheers:

Morning Thanos

Thank you for your comments and observations:)

I must confess that I had completey overlooked the possibility of needing to mount the Deckel DH but that said although I have one it gathers dust in the cupboard and its never been used.

I regularly use a Walter UH-100E with a 100mm 3 or 4 Jaw chuck or a Hardinge HV-4N 5C collet Indexer.

With time on my hands though I will look at "Modification A" to give me full capability should I need "ever" it.

As for the "Z" axis, my reader scale is more than long enough will allow me to go much higher even if I take the bellows off.

All the best from a cold East of England

John:cheers:

Hey there John,

regarding the dividing head I am not sure it might actually intefere. It's the tables that I like to be able to mount as low as possible, even hanging off the lowest slots to maximize Z headroom.
(my previous mill was an FP1 copy with only the swiveling table that had 190 mm table max table to spindle distance....so, I am bit traumatized in that department and I wouldn't want to sacrifice an inch in potential :) )

Greetings from not so cold west of Greece :)

BR,
Thanos

Hey there John,

(my previous mill was an FP1 copy with only the swiveling table that had 190 mm table max table to spindle distance....so, I am bit traumatized in that department and I wouldn't want to sacrifice an inch in potential :) )

Greetings from not so cold west of Greece :)

BR,
Thanos

Get yourself a riser....Adds 100mm of height., or think horizontal....There the head room is literally unlimited.
Cheers Ross

Get yourself a riser....Adds 100mm of height., or think horizontal....There the head room is literally unlimited.
Cheers Ross

The ALG is gone two years now Ross (with a table dropping plate to assist its new owner) and with the FP2, headroom has never been an issue yet, even when stacking a Reishauer super indexer on top of the rotab! :) (the long reach helps even more in this, it's considerably 'taller' than the standard vertical head). But still, it's nice to know you can drop the table even lower if need be.

Regarding working horizontally, this is most of the times the solution, but not always, especially if you don't own the extended table (and I don't). It all depends on the geometry of the part...

BR,
Thanos

Back