What's new
What's new

Deckel Restoration and gear play question

Jcgrimes

Plastic
Hello,

I am into a 1954 Deckel FP1 restoration. Clearly there was a couple of bearing failures in the past. I replaced all bearings and replaced bushings as necessary. The gears are in good shape but there is some axial play where the top drive gear meets the long cylindrical gear which drives the riser (very top in photo). I’d guess the play to be a degree or two. Is this unusual or does this even matter?

Before anyone comments on my color choice, I am planning on keeping this one for a long time, so I just have myself to please (or blame).97119E27-2663-4AAC-BADF-8B7E2D605C1C.jpg00F69501-E513-470A-BF0A-A81E50105E4F.jpg

Better question is what would you do if the answer was that the play was higher than "normal"?
If the teeth look fine (not pitted or undercut) and the supporting bearings/bushings are good..then pretty much that is the best you can do....
Think some additional play at that intersection is normal,you have to be able to move the long gear along with the "Y"feed, don't want any sticking here..
Further, as the ways wear that clearance will decrease. Gives room to rebuild or rework the slide if required.....
Little confused by the question...you describe the play as being "Axial" but the amount as in degrees.......Generally i would define an axial motion with a linear value....
A rotary definition (degrees) suggests that what you are describing is a "radial" clearance...

Cheers Ross

Back