Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well after a few days off and watching some YouTube clips on scraping and flaking I had a go at both the X-axis gibs (yes I know the upper gib had an oil slot in it but I don't know just how effective it was).

The gibs are in the furthest they've ever been now but I'd still like to see the upper one a little further in. See pictures below.

img_3140s.jpg img_3144s.jpg img_3148s.jpg

Got some small jobs to do on the Mill now so hopefully the gibs will bed in and I can look at the Y-axis gib next.

Rulon is paid for and will ship from the US first week of January.

Happy New Year all

John

2. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the thickest portion of that retaining bolt is inside the bore for a bit it is in far enough

Peter

4. Likes ballen, AlfaGTA, Jersey John liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When scraping in your gib, first get a good pattern across the total gib. (Lightly blued)
    Then make 1-2 scraping cycles on the center 1/3 of the gib only.
    This will make the center slightly low....And force the contact to the ends of the gib. This will help extend the life of the work in that
    the ends tend to wear first and having the center low will prevent the gib from becoming humped in the center and "rocking".....

Cheers Ross

6. Likes Jersey John liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter from Holland View Post
    If the thickest portion of that retaining bolt is inside the bore for a bit it is in far enough

Peter
    Great comment/advice Peter, I have achieved that on the bottom gib but not the top.

John

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    When scraping in your gib, first get a good pattern across the total gib. (Lightly blued)
    Then make 1-2 scraping cycles on the center 1/3 of the gib only.

This will make the center slightly low....And force the contact to the ends of the gib. This will help extend the life of the work in that the ends tend to wear first and having the center low will prevent the gib from becoming humped in the center and "rocking".....

Cheers Ross
    Thanks for the valued advice Ross ... should I be doing this amount of scraping with the Rulon?

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rulon should be fitted the same way that you would do a hard gib i believe....Except that you drag the scraper rather than push it into the surface.
    Scrape to good contact, relieve the center.....Think you can run the Rulon (Turcite) a bit tighter with no ill effects.

Cautionary note....be sure your way wipers and way bellows are in good condition once you fit the Rulon.
    Material is somewhat soft and you can embed chips/swarf in the bearing face if the machine has no protection from said.....
    Stuff is less demanding on way lube, but i would be sure there are feed grooves and feed holes in the proper places....
    More oil is a good thing. Its cheap and i don't think excess oil will hurt anything short of fouling the coolant in the sump.....

I keep folded shop towels (rags) on top of the base of my FP2 and FP3 mainly below the end of the vertical box ways to catch any dripping. Change them when they show signs of getting oil soaked.
    Reduces the tramp oil. I also use cutting oil in my machines to reduce the issues of keeping the coolant and way oil apart....as well as not needing to monitor the PH of the solution, or worry about bacteria contamination.

Cheers Ross

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rulon should be fitted the same way that you would do a hard gib i believe....Except that you drag the scraper rather than push it into the surface.

Scrape to good contact, relieve the center.....Think you can run the Rulon (Turcite) a bit tighter with no ill effects.

Cautionary note....be sure your way wipers and way bellows are in good condition once you fit the Rulon.
    Material is somewhat soft and you can embed chips/swarf in the bearing face if the machine has no protection from said.....

Stuff is less demanding on way lube, but i would be sure there are feed grooves and feed holes in the proper places....

More oil is a good thing. Its cheap and i don't think excess oil will hurt anything short of fouling the coolant in the sump.....

I keep folded shop towels (rags) on top of the base of my FP2 and FP3 mainly below the end of the vertical box ways to catch any dripping. Change them when they show signs of getting oil soaked. Reduces the tramp oil. I also use cutting oil in my machines to reduce the issues of keeping the coolant and way oil apart....as well as not needing to monitor the PH of the solution, or worry about bacteria contamination.

Cheers Ross
    Hi Ross, thanks for the detailed response - as always greatly appreciated. Will post updates as I go on the Rulon process (maybe open a different thread).

Have a good New Year

John

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So what else would you do on New Years Day?

Well I pulled the Y-axis gib and it was a bit of a mess (Scorred and looks like it's been giving minimum contact).

... anyway after cleaning congealed grease/oil off it I put it on the surface plate and began four plus hours of hard scraping with two main high areas to work on.

Once happy with the scraping I carried out some flaking and refitted it ...

WOW! how smooth the Y-feed felt and the gib screw pulled the gib in another 5mm.

Also over the last few days I've powered the table fully left and right about 5/6 times up to the trip dogs and they've done their job - Phew! (Must admit I had one hand over the feed engage handle and my other hand hovered over the emergency stop).

Lastly today I applied the X power feed again and went both ways without an issue - still very under confident and wary but it "SEEMS" to be operating OK ... Lets hope it is !

So what's next ... Now thinking about fitting a Newall Microsyn DRO to my Hardinge.

John

12. Likes sigurasg, thanvg, AlfaGTA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scraping to a surface plate is a good start.....but in reality the gib needs to be scraped for contact to the slide.....
    Sounds like you are making good progress.
    The up side is that you will know that some of this important stuff is put right, and in good working order....

Cheers Ross

14. Likes Jersey John liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Scraping to a surface plate is a good start.....but in reality the gib needs to be scraped for contact to the slide.....
    Sounds like you are making good progress.
    The up side is that you will know that some of this important stuff is put right, and in good working order....

Cheers Ross
    Certainly getting there Ross after spending what I did on the mill and being told it was a "Good" machine (Always difficult when it's in another country and having to trust the machinery dealers word)

Having built up great respect for the FP2 over the last few years this one really knocked my faith in them. Prior to the two FP2's I've had Schaublin 13's which are lovely machines but IMHO not in the same class.

Anyway, a BIG thank you for your assistance ... just the need to get confidence in the X-feed.

Rulon next but not quite the urgency now

All the best

John

16. Likes AlfaGTA liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John,

It great to hear that you are finally getting to the point where you are gaining confidence in the new machine and can be more comfortable making some chips.

Though it hasn't been addressed since the start of the thread I think you will find that since the gibs are now fitted the oil seepage will be greatly reduced. In the small amount I have used mine the oil coming out of the x axis slide area is minimal with most of the oil dripping off the bottom of the z box ways and around the z screw area.

By the way the DRO fittament looks good. I have put my scales in the same spots as yours. I haven't got the X scale fitted yet though. A quick question, do you find the movement of the the readout with the y axis to be distracting or hard to get used to or does it not matter? I mounted mine similarly but haven't done much with it yet.

Shawn

18. Likes Jersey John liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 65AMC View Post
    John,

It great to hear that you are finally getting to the point where you are gaining confidence in the new machine and can be more comfortable making some chips.

Though it hasn't been addressed since the start of the thread I think you will find that since the gibs are now fitted the oil seepage will be greatly reduced. In the small amount I have used mine the oil coming out of the x axis slide area is minimal with most of the oil dripping off the bottom of the z box ways and around the z screw area.

By the way the DRO fittament looks good. I have put my scales in the same spots as yours. I haven't got the X scale fitted yet though. A quick question, do you find the movement of the the readout with the y axis to be distracting or hard to get used to or does it not matter? I mounted mine similarly but haven't done much with it yet.

Shawn
    Hi Shawn ... Good to hear from you.

I have not thought about the drop in oil useage, that said it's certainly not dumped the same amount so I'll now monitor it - good comment!

The DRO fitting was straight forward once I'd begun and the most obvious to me to fit was the Y then the Z but ironically the X was not as straight forward as the Y and Z and as pointed out by Thanos my X guard sits forward of the vertical face of the table and I will modify it to be at least flush so maybe you should think about that too.

As for the Y, personally I don't find a problem reading or monitoring it and I have used it the most of the three.

Hope this helps and thanks for your contribution.

John