What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2 Slotting head rebuild questions

JDP993

Aluminum
I have a slotting head that has been sitting on the shelf frozen for longer than I care to remember. It is time to rebuild and put to use.

To that end I began disassembly last night and have reached a point where I could use some help from the community. I searched, both through Google and on the Forum directly, to see what had been written about these heads in the past and I could not find the answer to my questions.

First is, how do you remove the connecting rod from the slide? As Seen in the photo below there is no obvious grub screw or other means of locking the pin that holds the connecting rod to the slide

fZ43MRaiT+awwUaV6H+F8Q.jpg

If you can remove this pin then the slide can be removed from the end. If the pin doesn't come out then it seems you would have to pull the gib allowing the slide to be pulled straight out. There are 2 pins keeping the gib from sliding out the end. I assume I would have to drill and tap the pins to pull with a slide hammer and then I could slide the brass gib out the end.

wHtSCPXBRdeYUEN8ilaBRQ.jpg

I would appreciate any ideas from those who have worked on one of these before

Believe that pin is pressed in.
Remove the oil fitting (Zerk) from the face of the slide and use a drift through the hole to press the pin from the slide.
Cheers Ross

Ross,

Thank you, I will give that a try. I didn't want to go down my usual path of forcing something and then regretting it.

Best regards

John

Ross,

Thanks again for the advice on tapping out the pin, came out just fine.

It is interesting to see the Deckel attention to detail in the slotting head. The bearing on the rotating portion of the connecting rod being a needle bearing for the higher angular velocities. The bearing on the slider end of the connecting rod being a plain bronze bearings where the angular movement is relatively small so the risk of fretting is high. I would have thought the pin would be held in a more substantial way than what is a relatively modest press fit. A lot of well thought out details in the rest of the design though.

Best, JP

Back