What's new
What's new

Deckel FP2NC X- Axiis linear scale dead

torleifj

Cast Iron
Hi.

My linear scale on the X-axis is dead between two uses of the mill. I have swapped the connectors behind the side cover. That moved the problem to the Z-axis, so I'm pretty sure that it's the scale itself, not the cable connection.

Dragging the bellows aside, I can se the cord disappearing under the table, covered under a lot of metal.

How is that fixed? Anything I can repair myself? Spare parts or refurbed scales available? Anyone have one for sale?

How do I get access to the reader head? is seems rather difficult to get in there.

Best regards, and thanks for any help,

Torleif.

Recently went through this with one of my FP4NCs, more than likely the bulb is worn out after 30 years.
Removal and reinstallation is fairly simple, though it does take some time.
There are machined alignment registers in the X axis which makes things easy.
Basically, there is a M3/M4 socket head screw on either end of the scale, and 2 screws that hold the reader head in place, the complete scale assembly (Scale and reader) can be removed through hole in the X axis hand wheel casting.
AlfaGTA has described this all in more detail on the forum here.

Had the scale rebuilt and new seals installed at Atech Authority in California (excellent service and turn around), if I were in the EU, would purchase an exchange unit from Franz Singer.

Edited to add: "Removal and reinstallation *of the complete scale and reader assembly* is fairly simple"

Last edited:
Thanks!

Searching through 600 posts, I finally found it. There is so much valuable information in this forum, sometimes almost too much.

The hole in the casting for the scale and the hole for the Allen key made the difference.

Best regards,
Torleif.

Back