What's new
What's new

Deckel FP3 gearbox problems

Oke I have this FP3 in stock for some time now Not advertising with it yet as it needed some attention
Sold it anyhow Funtionalyties checked and a DRO installed
I knew it had a feed problem Not the sheerpin Well I ended up removing the lid of the lower gearbox
I did notice though that this was not the first time someone has worked on the machine
I did not notice anything out of the ordinairy So put it back together That is a bit of a pita because all 3 shifters have to be lined up
Well it turned out that twas the problem in the first place Shifters not lined up

Oke So far so good
Now we checked the speeds WTH the same problem
Oke We took of the lid and ligned up the shifters Not good
Second time No good eighter So after 5 attempts I noticed that when turning the spindle by hand I had some decent drag although the gears were out of mesh
Mmmmmm
Looked it over Checked it once more And a third time Nothing
But finaly I noticed the problem
The set of 3 gears the middle one turned freely
item 200130417 in the drawing
attachment.php

It looked like a key was sheared of
Well that involves some work :Yawn:
Taking the thing out is not that difficult
Remove both covers on the front and back of the machine

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gently tap out the shaft from the front and take out the gears
There it is
attachment.php

More to come
Peter

BTW This was not the first time this part was disassembled as I noticed several markings

This is a assembly of 3 gears
The smaller left one has a bushing attached with a spline inside Both other gears are keyed on that bushing WITH A 4X4 MM KEY
Also the biggest gear sits only 10mm or thereabout on that key :nutter:

attachment.php

I decided to make a hardened key Also as high as possible 4.3mm
Did that because I noticed some paper on the bottem of the keyway Probbably becuase it was to deep
attachment.php

You also see a hole in the face of the big gear There is a mating hole in the opposite gear
For a dowelpin perhaps Who knows Nothing on the drawing
I put in a dowelpin just to b sure

So far no problems
But now comes the hard part Getting it all assembled

The tricky part is to get the 3 gears all at the front on the shaft
They have 2 keyways at 180 dgr Very hard to acces in that gearbox
I had to come up with a way to align the keyways of all 3 gears
After some coffee I took a piece of pipe
Turned it down to minus28mm and milled in a 4mm wide slot I turned the ID to plus 25mm 15mm deep to take up the first bit of the shaft

attachment.php

Also made a adapter M16x1mm and M10 So I could connect the tube and the shaft together
Here you see the shaft with the 2 keyways and the extension that makes it possible to bolt the tube to the shaft

attachment.php

From the frontend I wiggled the tube with the key trough the 3 gears and also through the NUP bearing in the middle
From the back I put in the shaft with a piece of M10 alltread

attachment.php

Then comes the nice part
Just behind the NUP bearing there was a gap in the assembly where the tube and shaft were visable
There I could align the key from the tube on the left with the key from the shaft on the right in the picture below
attachment.php

Now I clamped all of it together with the alltread
More to follow

Peter

Here you see the front of the machine with the tube that is bolted on the shaft ready to go in

attachment.php

Looking at this setup I came to the conclusion that I could just as well pull the shaft in instead of wacking with a dead blow hammer
So some bushings later we had this setup

attachment.php

Now I could gently pull the shaft in position and with some wiggling the last 20mm it just pulled in place
As I had plenty of practice with the shifters already these were back in place quick enough

Monday putting the covers and motor back will finish the job
Still the DRO needs to be done We hope to have a happy customer again then
Pictures are a bit blurry Taken with my cellphone with a oily lenze probably:D
Enjoy anyhow

Peter

Interesting work; I'll have to dive into mine when I get it, it has a known spindle gearbox problem.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with photos + all.

these machines are pretty straight forward....Just mechanics....Investigate, document and disassemble with the parts book as your guide. You will discover any problems....
Logic will be the answer....Think you will prevail.
Cheers Ross

these machines are pretty straight forward....Just mechanics....Investigate, document and disassemble with the parts book as your guide. You will discover any problems....
Logic will be the answer....Think you will prevail.
Cheers Ross

Thanks; I'm fairly confident, quite good at this sort of thing, but this thread by Peter shows some pretty diabolical assemblies.

Parts book; well, that would be nice.

Back