What's new
What's new

Deckel G.S dbit grinder info?

strandberg

Plastic
I got my hands on a pretty rough, old Deckel single lip grinder, a Deckel G.S. It's a fairly old machine and I haven't been able to find much of any information on it online.

Bronze bearings, no integrated motor mount, smaller than the S0, less movement options on the work head, uses some old collets that seem to be 1/2" outside diameter.

Mine only came with one knackered collet so I probably have to make my own, or make a new tube that can use some more readily available collets instead.

It's. Missing the "caps / plugs / lids /oilers)" over the oiling points, anyone know what these should look like and work? Maybe the same ones are used on some other old Deckels.

I found an old eBay ad with some photos of one but it didn't really answer any of my questions unfortunately.

I'll post some photos from my computer in a little bit.

gs1.jpg

gs2.jpg

Here's the (newer) one from the ebay archive:

Stichel-Schleifmaschine-Friedrich-Deckel-_57.jpg

Hello,

I also have one of these, but not for actually using it.

According to the 1953 Deckel year book they were introduced in 1925 and replaced by the SO in 1938.
I think they were connected to the engraving machine itself to power the grinder through that little belt. It might simply have been mounted on the engravers table.
Even before the GS there was a little grinder, but I have no info on it. It is only mentioned in the book.

I wonder if it takes the same collet as the FP1 high speed head? That's a 16mm Lorch spec collet if I'm not mistaken, a bit bigger than 1/2" but in between 20mm and 1/2".

Hello,

I also have one of these, but not for actually using it.

According to the 1953 Deckel year book they were introduced in 1925 and replaced by the SO in 1938.
I think they were connected to the engraving machine itself to power the grinder through that little belt. It might simply have been mounted on the engravers table.
Even before the GS there was a little grinder, but I have no info on it. It is only mentioned in the book.

Yeah I have a 1974 Deckel S0 so this is just for fun!

Any chance you have some photos of yours to share? I'd love to replicate the missing parts for mine but I haven't found any photos.
I've been looking for that Deckel book but no luch so far, would you mind sharing a photo of the page talking about this and the older grinder? :)

Makes sense that it was probably driven by the pantograph belt!

I wonder if it takes the same collet as the FP1 high speed head? That's a 16mm Lorch spec collet if I'm not mistaken, a bit bigger than 1/2" but in between 20mm and 1/2".

No it's not the smaller deckel fp1/s0 collets, I've owned a danish made dbit grinder that used those before. Here's a photo of the collet that came with my GS, the 16 lorch ones and a standard 355e

collets.jpg

Back