What's new
What's new

Deckel jig borer question

To be more correct: FP1 with riser as Matt stated. FP2 FP3 as is no additional parts needed.
FP4 you will need the adapter way rails to "shim down the dovetails to fit the head.
FP2NC, FP3NC FP4NC (no adapter needed).......in short almost everything good! :eek:
Oh and the LK of course.
Cheers Ross

The tooling will fit any manual drawbar no. 40 spindle Deckel mill, right ?

Btw, I only bought this thing because it's only an hour away from me, and I need to go to Charleston next week anyway

The tooling will fit any manual drawbar no. 40 spindle Deckel mill, right ?
Right. Should be the Deckel standard 20x2.0 male buttress thread on all the tooling.

That boring head is a #4Morse shank (will fit the FP1 Morse spindle machines) and it has the Deckel #4 morse to 40 adapter sleve.

There are some 20 mm collets in the tooling as well. Same thread at the end but require an adapter from teh 40 taper. Looks like the adapter is there as well.
Cheers Ross

Yeah, I saw that last night and was thinking it was a nice setup. I didn't see the low buy-it-now price though. I'm not in the market anyhow, though.

As for fitting... There is a raising unit that you can get for the FP2/3 as well. it isn't mandatory, but it might be a nice thing to look out for as it will give you some more Z. This is probably more true of the grinding head usage though because with all the crap you can put under that, your tool can get pretty low.

All of this is theoretical though. Although I have a grinding and a boring head, I have never had the opportunity to actually use them. I am not setup to really be able to put something like that on my mill. Eventually I'll do a little crane the way Ross and some others have done. Then lifting something like those heads will be a bit more feasible.

--Alan

I presuming the thing is actually worth more, and useful to more Deckelites, for the boring head/ram assembly and the tooling than it is as a whole unit.

Can anyone think of any reason to keep it all together as is ? And would the lower unit be worth any more than scrap value ?

I didn't see the low buy-it-now price
That's because he added the Buy it Now this morning. And seeing as how I didn't even ask him about a buy it now price, I figured someone else must have, which worried me enough to go ahead and pull the trigger. I'll bet it would have gone for slightly more than that if he had left it alone, so I guess it worked out ok.

Don:
Not sure about the value. Think as a jig boring machine they are kind of weak...think a Moore is a much nicer machine. Big advantage of the LK i think is tht it uses the same tooling as the mills. I owned a Jig Boring table tht would fit to an FP mill. Table was just like the one on an LK. Had the optics and the electric feed....gave it away couldn't see ever using it, just another hunk of iron...but that said us Deckel guys are a strange lot. Probally someone out there who needs a complete LK to compliment their "collection". Hey Martin, you don't have an LK , what is one more hunk of iron............ :eek:
Cheers Ross

Apparently Martin does want one jig borer thread

But that was back before he became the Deckel King of The Deep South ! Now he will look upon it with distain as something only the plebes would be mucking about with...

Hi Don.

Congratulations, I think. :confused:

You should be able to sell the fine boring head; give away the machine itself and have your money back. Someone could use it with a FP2 standard head (but where would he get one?) or a High Speed Head (more likely). Apart from the obviously nice Wollyhoppers there is some nice tooling. There are even the carry sticks and the feed handle for the boring head - rare (yes, I don't have the handle). And so is the t-slotted block(don't have that either).; it's the only one I've seen since Martin's two when he started out deckeling.

Cheers Erik

That appears to be a Moore jig borer vise in the drawer. Those used to bring a couple hundred bucks on eBay by themselves...dunno about these days.

Something tells me I'm going to be looking at a decapitated jig borer for a long time....maybe I can JB Weld a drill press head up there..

As far as scrap price goes, even the seller said it would be a shame to scrap it out after the parts. Well maybe so, where you gonna get anothern (that's one word, anothern :D )

I like the LK. It has a small footprint and as I have an FP1 and no riser, it is nice to have a machine that hosts the grinding and boring heads. The optical scales are sort of funky but cool in their way and the UI is pretty nice. It is one beefy machine.

I'm diddling around with a design that will get rid of the grinding head controller box (which is simply a manual generator for high frequency AC). If you have not looked inside the grinding head control box, it is worth a peek - very old school. Makes the 10EE tubes seem downright high-tech.

As for getting those darn heads onto the machine, I installed a superstrut track in my ceiling:

superstruttrolley.jpg

The gearbox is all the way up in this picture so there is more clearance for manipulating the head into place. I have a straight clevis hook in the hole that the "stick" goes into and use it with the hoist.

The trolley setup costs, IIRC, around $60 (I already had the chain hoist) and it can handle up to around 400 pounds. I won't use it for anything more then the Deckel heads. I have another trolley over the FP1 to lift things like my table, rotary tables, etc. The track is Home Depot and the trolley accessories are from McMaster Carr (four track brackets and the trolley itself).

I would love to have a Moore some day but my shop is not tall enough, as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Bob Welland

Don- if you part it out, I'd be interested in the table riser that was in the drawer beside the moore vise.

Markus

Don: If you part it out I'd be interested in the wings off the table (not making this up), the clamps and maybe the small Wohl. Funny that it's serial number is darn closs to mine. Btw is it a 220volt machine?

Stan, Winnipeg version, Cheers!

Picked up the LKB today. Was at L.S. Starrett...I had no idea they had a plant in Charleston, SC. Picked up another machine (late model woodworking slotter) while there that will make the LKB "free" even if I never sell it.

Like Martin, I got some unexpected cool literature with the deal...like a bound set of Technical Bulletins and a Deckel full line brochure from 1980...things in there I didn't know about...will start a new thread on that eventually.

This size range of jig borers gets used a lot in the watch industry, especially in small companies and for prototype work. I'd use the LK over a similar Hauser any day. The layout of the controls is perfect, and the Hensoldt scope that was made for it is heads and tails beyond anything Hauser or even SIP offered for their similarly sized machines. The 40 taper tooling is a bit big for the size of machine, but then if the machine is used as intended the tooling is simply massive which is good. Drilled a number of .10mm holes into tool steel with one at 2000 rpm with no problem at all (2000 was the smoothest speed on that machine).

The only jig borer I might prefer is a SIP 2H; about the same footprint and weight but has a sweet sliding head with built in scope. Acually looks less ergonomic than the LK but the cool factor is high.

Quite a few people bought a FP2nc and the grind attachment and had a cnc jig bore. This was quite a feat in the early 80's. I do not know the exact number of lk's in the US but there are perhaps 30-40. I will consult my machine data to come up whith more accurate number. They like all deckels are very ridgid and accurate and have a place even in todays shops.

Regards
Deckeldoctor

Back