What's new
What's new

FP3A dialog 11 - SPS not "OK" under selftest

Mrtiger

Plastic
I have some trouble with my 2nd FP3A dialog 11 machine.
when i try too start the machine up it stops undet the "self test" and i dont get "OK" for the SPS.
Can it be the NPC card that is the problem?

Hope someone can help me to fix this problem.

BTW, where can i buy spareparts from here in Europe? Do Glidemaster support spareparts for Deckel? Home - GILDEMEISTER Group
Did try to mail them, but they dont mail back:(

Best Regards
Espen

Have you checked the battery pack voltage in the NSV module ? Should be about 4.5 volts. If lower than about 3 volts, then that is your problem. Either you need new batteries and/or you need to clean the contacts on the battery pack terminals. Note that the first time you get the voltage correct, when you reboot you may still get the SPS error. If so, shut it down and the second time you reboot the error will go away and you will see lots of "ok's" as before and life will be merry once again.

If this is not your problem, I know what is probably wrong as well...but the solution is not so easy.

Re spare parts for Dialog 11, FPS in Germany is the source. However, in the long run generally more cost effective to buy another Dialog 11 machine for spare parts. Not just for the parts but to swap modules to aid in troubleshooting.

Thanks for the reply.

I did change the battery last year. Did check the battery pack now and the Voltage is 3,7V, so i dont think the battery is the problem.

Thanks for the reply.

I did change the battery last year. Did check the battery pack now and the Voltage is 3,7V, so i dont think the battery is the problem.
You worry me some when you say "the" battery as there are 3 batteries in the NSV pack. Also you might check voltage on the board itself to make sure there isn't some corrosion issue somewhere from battery pack to board. If voltage on board is also 3.7 you might try 3 alkaline batteries so that you have over 4.7 volts and see if that makes any difference. If that doesn't work, then reseat and/or Stabilant any socketed IC's in NSV.

If that doesn't work, try hard reboot (desolder Saft battery so that you loose parameters, reinstall battery and parameters) If that doesn't work, you either spend $$$ for "new" NSV or you have a long electronics project ahead...

I ment the battery pack. Did also check the voltage on the bord and I got the same voltage there.
Did "reseat and/or Stabilant any socketed IC's in NSV" without anu luck.
I did mail FPS with the problem, and they believe that it is NPC card is defective.

I did mail FPS with the problem, and they believe that it is NPC card is defective.
NPC....sorry, yes, that's right....I typed NSV by mistake. It's the NPC that directly relates to SPS and has the eighteen static ram IC's. Most likely therein lies the problem, one of those static rams.

Possible that one of your NPC Eproms is bad. Unlikely, but possible. If you have just one Dialog 11 machine, it's a tough decision how to proceed. When my NPC went bad I had two more Dialog 11 machines to switch cards and Eproms with, so I was able to pinpoint exactly which card the problem was on. How you proceed depends on how quickly you need the machine running again, how much you are willing to spend and your electronics expertise. Do you know anyone else in Norway who had a Dialog 11 Deckel you might borrow an NPC from ? Realizing of course that even if you do they might not be willing to risk pulling it from their machine for your tests...but maybe...

I was on the verge of shipping my NPC to FPS for repair but the more I thought about it the more I worried about something happening to it in shipping each way. Would have been a disaster if it was lost. So, not being in any hurry, I tested every component until I finally found the problem. But it took weeks of spare time desoldering and testing.

tiger, come back now.... try to pull out of the depression this may have caused...don't go "Wiggo" on us ! :willy_nilly:

hi,
I wont go away:)
I did get the new NPC card from fps today and the machine is running again:)
Yea, we have one more FP3A with dialog 11, but we have a lot of work so i was afraid to damage that 2nd machine. I did`nt got the time desoldering and testing the card.
But, i think i will try to change the eproms just to see if that causes the fault.

I did make a deal with FPS that if my card was not defective, then i could sendt the card back without paying for it.

Thanks for the help,
I`am sure this is not the last time i post a problem with a deckel:)

hi,
I wont go away:)
I did get the new NPC card from fps today and the machine is running again:)
Yea, we have one more FP3A with dialog 11, but we have a lot of work so i was afraid to damage that 2nd machine. I did`nt got the time desoldering and testing the card.
But, i think i will try to change the eproms just to see if that causes the fault.
:cheers: Excellent ! You should have told me you already had another D11 machine... I felt sorry for you for nothing ! ;)

tiger, come back now.... try to pull out of the depression this may have caused...don't go "Wiggo" on us ! :willy_nilly:

Haha. Great to see that the problem was fixed before he started to show signs of the "Wiggo" syndrome. It's a quite serious syndrome which one should watch out for :)

I remember it was darn expensive to replace the NPC/SPS card back 10 years ago. Think it was € or $ 4000 if they could repair my old and €/$6000 if they failed.

My FP3A/D11 is still a statue but one day.... the best thing having a non working machine is that it is in the same great mechanical condition as when I bought it 10 years ago! :)

I'm also interested to hear what a replacement card cost.

Back