What's new
What's new

Deckel KF1

Tradert

Plastic
I have a deckel kf1. I downloaded the operators manual for the deckel kf1/kf12 pantographs. I cannot find anything in the manual that addresses how the pantograph slides are adjusted to achieve the different copy ratios, ie.,1:1 , 1:2, 1:3, 1:4. Can someone help me out here?
Thanks,
Mike

First thing, I do not own or ever had a KF1 or KF12 Die Sinking machine. Almost bought one from the original owner with all the bells and whistles but it's a long story that never happened. What I do think is without knowing that you have everything for those machines it will be difficult to figure out how to do certain things, these machines are complicated. I have the operators manual and another book specifically covering the pattern forming attachment, shows how complicated these things are.
To answer your question; What I found is on pages #56 through #60, reducing and enlarging the work. From what I gather it sounds like there is another arm that in put on the machine and one way you have to mount the spindle on the opposite arm moving the belt and all. I do find it's not covered well enough for someone not familiar but hopefully you have what is needed and will figure it out.
Dan
PS. Kind of curious; Where in Missouri are you?

Mike!

Is your machine dirty or rusty? The scales for adjusting the pantograph are engraved with very thin lines, take a second look, clean the scales carefully.

Ole

When i bought the machine there was an attachment the fixes the spindle in position so that it can be transported without damage to the pantograph mechanism. However to put the attachment on we had to loosen the adjustments on the arm. The guy i bought it from did this and i did not observe the process. He had been using it as a 1:1 ratio which is what i would like to do also as i am trying to duplicate not enlarge or shrink. I dont think he had ever change it before and doesnt know how to return it to the original position either. I am located in Marshall about 80 miles east of Kansas City.

Ole,
The machine is in very good condition but has a film of oil and dust on it. I will try cleaning it and see if i can find the marks you are speaking of.
Thanks,
Mike

Setting up a deckel kf1

image.jpeg

This shows one of the adjustment slides on the pantograph arm the other one is hard to see but is right behind. I have them set in approximately the center position but i have no idea what this does to the scale

Tradert!

This is what the slides look like on my machine. Don't you have these scales?

Here is the attachment for enlarging and reduction. Do you have this? You need the book "The pattern forming attachments for the pantograph die sinking machine and it's application for mechanical patternmaking" from F. Deckel. The possibilities and options of this machine is larger than it is easy to imagine. The book is available as copy from Tony Griffiths at Lathes.co.uk . It is worth it!

Good luck!

Best regards, Ole

The machine can handle 1.5:1 to 7:1 enlargement and vice versa reduction, as well as 1:1 naturally. Enlargements and reduction between 1:1 and 1.5:1 are not possible.

Ole

Be careful and start out with light cuts in the 1:1 ratio. You have no leverage as you get in the reduction ratios.. It will get away from you if using larger cutters, climbing etc...

Thanks Ole, i dont think i have the attachment that you show so i will have to find one. But my scales do look like yours. I wiped the dust and sludge off the and i can plainly see the marks. Since for the moment i will only be able to do 1:1 copies where should i set the scales?
Thanks,
Mike

Tradert!

When doing 1:1 the pantograph works as leverage to reduce your manual effort. Set all scales to the same value according to the work and your preference. Try it out, it does require practice!

Ole

If you post some more pictures with closeups of the machine and the accessories you might have, we may be able to help you with their use, and how to solve problems. For example, to do reductions you need the attachment I showed you, but you may also mount a stylus of your own design at the end of the pantograph. The accessories for this machine may be difficult to come by. One possible source is Franz Singer, he is on Ebay, but he is expensive.

Ole

If you post some more pictures with closeups of the machine and the accessories you might have, we may be able to help you with their use, and how to solve problems. For example, to do reductions you need the attachment I showed you, but you may also mount a stylus of your own design at the end of the pantograph. The accessories for this machine may be difficult to come by. One possible source is Franz Singer, he is on Ebay, but he is expensive.

Ole
Sold my KF1 years ago, so memory is fuzzy.. That pictured attachment allows true 3D. It rides on a separate pattern than the XY master. Really not complicated once you figure it out.. Lots of creative possibilities, compared to the simple little engraving pantos. BTW, that stabilizing bracket that the machine arrived with allows you to do light milling, if it is the same one I am thinking about..

Here is the attachment for enlarging and reduction. Do you have this? You need the book "The pattern forming attachments for the pantograph die sinking machine and it's application for mechanical patternmaking" from F. Deckel. The possibilities and options of this machine is larger than it is easy to imagine. The book is available as copy from Tony Griffiths at Lathes.co.uk . It is worth it!
I turned all my Deckel paper work over to Markusfu at NAMES 2014.
There were several copies of the original Deckel books there.

I have an original, in good condition, of the book on the pattern forming attachment Ole mentioned above that I'm willing to part with. Let me know if you're interested!

Any parts? Looking for drag table and dove tail radius attachment or circle thing? Deckel KF1 or any other attachments? Thanks

Back