What's new
What's new

Fp4nc npp90

Rider-83

Aluminum
I have a a question regarding the NPP90 card.
Currently the machine is working but with a couple of lubrication timing issues.
On the NPP90 located in the PLC unit all the LED's are out (off)
I understand that this is a 'loss of program data' issue regarding the EPROMS.
These EPROMs were replaced with new items back in 2005 with the correct data along with a new battery, and the machine has worked fine since.
Would somebody be so kind as to look at their NPP90 and let me know what the LED status is with their card?
I still have the original EPROM software so if required I can re-burn the data.
It just seems strange that the card reports a complete software loss yet the machine performs almost faultless.
I believe that the 'Spindle Head' lubrication timing is controlled from this card, and this is currently my only issue with the machine.

Thanks,
Nick...

Nick:
On my "Flip" FP4NC software version 2.19
The only LED's lit on the NPP 90 are the two communication LED's at the top of the card.
This is with the machine powered up , servos active ,but standing...no spindle or movement.

When i activate the lube pump the led on NEA 90 51-4 lights while the pump is running.

Funny thing here is this machine which i bought from Government surplus in Canada was fitted with a aftermarket
electronic timer to control the lube cycle. Has two knobs to control the time between lube cycles and the duration of the cycle....
It works although i have never spent any time to see how its implemented....That machine seems to oil quite a bit.....
Don't know if the timer overrides the normal lube setup or not and if the lube is inhibited during normal feeding like the stock setup....
The PB on the operators panel does work as normal...

Cheers Ross

You are aware that there is a DIP switch setting on that card that changes the time between lube pulses ,right?

S2.5 sets the time between pulses at either 1 or 3 hours i believe...

For your FP4NC having the switch open gives 3 hour pause between cycles
Setting the switch closed will give 1 hour pause between cycles.....

Section 3 of the orange book gives info on the setting of these switches ..pages 1-4 through 4-4 sheet # 6400 15 003165 00
Cheers Ross

Looking further there is a page that shows the conditions of the led's on the NPP90.....
Sheet: 6400 15 003167 00
Quick look suggests that the LED indicate faults.....Think no LED's is a good thing.

Sorry about the above post...failed to see that you were asking about the cycling of the head stock lube pump....not sure if that is tied to the way pump or not....Think not.

Should know that there sometimes are issues with the check ball sealing at the start of the clear head stock oil feed line. Where the ball fails to seal and the oil in the
line is not retained or held, but rather it tends to drain back and when you get an oil pulse the line is not filled so the oil never gets to the bevel gears....

Solution here is to disassemble and clean the ball and seat...then reinstall the ball, and re-seat it using a soft drift (brass) to lightly tap the ball into its seat....
Be sure to fill the clear line by manually cycling the oil pump....

Will reloading the software clear your error?
Cheers Ross

Ross,

I've traced the entire wiring of the Head Lube from the Lube Solenoid through X16 pins 6 & 7 which lead me to NPP90.
For some reason it is not triggering the pulses to the solenoid (+24v is present).
By shear luck whilst looking for something else, I found a complete unused set of the EPROMS for this card.
I must have had two sets made back in 2005!! Can you believe it? I shall give 'em a try.
According to my Orange Book (Translated from German) that all LED's OUT is erroneous.

As for the Way Lube timer you speak of, my machine also has a retrofitted Telemecanique timer with two black knobs.
Someone has wrote on in black pen various French words describing Lubrication and Timings. Isn’t that a weird coincidence?

According to my Orange Book (Translated from German) that all LED's OUT is erroneous

Well certainly there are different versions of the orange book depending on the build of your machine....
Here is a copy of the page from my orange book defining the condition of the machine relative to which combination of LED's are lit on the NPP 90 board.

Now i don't speak German, but have used translators to decode the first line of the table where zero LED's are lit as shown...
"Alles in ordnung" Which i translate to mean that everything is OK.......

Hopefully some of our German speakers can translate the table...but to my eye if you have no LED's lit then everything is fine......

attachment.php

Cheers Ross

Some additional information:
Looks to me that the head stock oil pump ,Y10, is fed from a driver card (NE 90) .....
The output to the pump comes from X 51:6
Any chance the driver is bad?
Have you swapped the NE90 boards to see if there is any difference?

Cheers Ross

"Alles in ordnung" Which i translate to mean that everything is OK.......

Hopefully some of our German speakers can translate the table...but to my eye if you have no LED's lit then everything is fine......

Cheers Ross

My understanding from reading that page illustrated is that Ross is correct and that an LED lit on the NSV90 would indicate there is a malfunction or error.
Alles in Ordnung translated literally means "Everything in Order" which is the German way of expressing that "everything is as it is supposed to be".
The NSV LEDs show the condition of a variety of PC (the machine's internal computer/controller) functions ranging from power to the board, EPROM checksums, including communication from the control panel to the machine's PC.

I would not necesarily change out your EPROMS without good reason (boards and EPROM sockets are getting old and can be fragile/brittle) though you might "reseat" the existing installed EPROMS for good measure. Probably better to just reboot the software in Mode16 vs installing new EPROMS at this point.

It's a bit of a project to translate that whole page, but if you have an error LED, post it and I'll translate that for you.

Just to confirm what Ross has written, according to the document, for the NPP90, normal function is all LEDs off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart, Rider, in taking an image of your EPROMs way back when... I do that on my stuff for that "just in case" situation where the EPROMs finally have met their EOL. We are all living on borrowed time with our ancient machines!

If you would like, you can send me the files and I'll add them to the DVD. That way they'll be archived for others if they want the data.

Alan

Back