Deckel model 6017 Rotary Table 380 mm / Rundtisch - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, Bruce. I had already consulted the manual which makes only one mention of lubrication: bearing oil(vactra heavy medium, et al)for the bearings. No mention anywhere of the sump or what to put in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0162.jpg  

Country
    GERMANY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dgcope View Post
    Thank you, Bruce. I had already consulted the manual which makes only one mention of lubrication: bearing oil(vactra heavy medium, et al)for the bearings. No mention anywhere of the sump or what to put in it.
    Could it be that the oil you put in the top is also what ends up in the sump? As I recall, under the top there is nothing that blocks the oil from moving downwards into the sump.

3. Likes dgcope liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I believe that the oil does end up in the sump, but the lack of instructions, a sight glass, and second oil fill hole make me think that Deckel changed to grease. The question is what to replace it with? If grease, what kind? I'd be okay with measuring in the oil if consensus is that oil is superior for this application.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    Could it be that the oil you put in the top is also what ends up in the sump? As I recall, under the top there is nothing that blocks the oil from moving downwards into the sump.
    That would explain why there's a little puddle under mine, or maybe I overdid it with the oil to the top of it. It's freed up with use, though, and now it no longer feels "gummy".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dear Ross, sure would like to have your opinion here...would you mind weighing in when you have a moment? To reiterate, my question starts at post #59.

1. Oil or grease, which is preferred?

2. If grease, what kind to use?

3. If oil, okay to revert to oil in a table designed for grease (no sight glass)?

Many thanks!

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is a case where i really don't think it matters very much. Low speed, relative low pressure action between the worm and the wheel, not to mention that for most the actual use of the table seldom and light. ....Don't know , but i would guess that Deckel figured that grease was fine for the lower portion of the table. I would opt for a grease that was relatively thick that would stay put on the worm and wheel...likely a lithium base,
    perhaps somewhat fibrous like an automotive wheel bearing grease....Or perhaps an open gear lube...the stuff that comes in a spray can and gets thicker once applied...there are a number of varieties available through
    industrial supply houses or bearing supply houses....
    The down side is that grease will likely make the rotary action of the table a bit stiffer than if lubed via oil in the sump....

Now if one wanted to have oil in the sump, seems wise to have a way to gauge the height. What is needed is to maintain the oil level high enough to touch the bottom of the worm, allowing the oil to be carried up into the contact of the wheel.....Level too high and the oil will run out the worm shaft. Too low and it will be as though no lube was present....

A simple solution would be to drill and tap into the side of the sump and install one of the larger right angle "Gits" style oilers. The height of the drilling so that the top of the oil fitting was at the height needed fro
    proper lube of the screw and wheel,

Adding oil would be easy by adding through the oil fitting to its top...
    Faced with this question (a table with no sight glass, think i would opt for making the oil fitting conversion. To me there is something reassuring about seeing the oil level and knowing that it is there, as opposed to just assuming that the grease was working...

Cheers Ross

8. Likes ballen, dgcope liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you kindly, Ross! This is precisely the kind of wisdom I was hoping for.