What's new
What's new

Deckel pendants

Martin P

Titanium
The topic arose through me selling a handwheel in the for sale section.
Before I advertised the wheel I had to check if I could replace it on the machine I took it from. It was too nice for me.
So I scoured my attic and was pleased with what I had accumulated over time.
IMG_1721 by Martin Peitz, on Flickr

The Euchner pendants were used for everybody it seems. But current nice looking wheels from China cost maybe 10% of the Euchner stuff.
If it does not say Deckel, it can be cheap sometimes.
The only Deckel unique part seems to be the housing, probably made by Euchner for Deckel as a customization. And the Deckel logo.
Depending on machine and control the pendants vary a lot.
In the picture you can see pendants from very early Deckel stand-alone tool changers (fixed to TC) and from a Deckel EDM.
Also the Sinumerik machines had different units/handwheels. I should have one, but cannot find, so I probably sold it ? Or it is in some moving box from 10 years ago.
Note that on the Dialog controls the tool change pendants gained a button for a safety interlock. This became even worse on the D12, where a key and button were added to the control panel for that purpose. Considering that milling is a controlled collision on principle, it is interesting what all came up in regulations. I wonder what incidents kicked this off.

I ran across an original drawing of the handwheel from Euchner with their part number.
So I just called them and got a nice lady on the phone, also in home office.
She researched the situation and also talked to the product manager.
Neither the handwheel or the housing are available any more.
There seem to have been talk with DMG to make a new batch, but nothing conclusive so far.

My FP4NC came with a fabricated aluminum pendant housing. D.Sentner said one of his customers was making them at one time, that was years ago. Might be something that could be shop made and a few sold, perhaps improved? I made a stand attached to a magnetic base for mine, that could be incorporated in the housing.

I dont need one for myself and was just curious why even Singer does not offer the housings anymore. Of course any housing will do functionally, but some would prefer to stay stock.
I think this would be a perfect item for a 3D printer, but I have no idea how much cost/effort that would be.
If you make it from aluminum you can call it "billet" and from carbon you can call it "racing technology". And wrapping it in carbon-look foil will make it lighter.

My FP4NC came with a fabricated aluminum pendant housing. D.Sentner said one of his customers was making them at one time, that was years ago.

Had a housing that was trying to fail at the threaded inserts to attach the cover panel....Bought one of d.sentner's fabricated replacements....
I see lots of excellent fabrication in my world...The housing i bought was pretty far down the list for fit and finish ..pretty rough. I opted to repair my original one rather than put the alloy housing into
service, just couldn't get behind the way it looked and felt..still have it somewhere i think....

If i needed a replacement, which thankfully i don't, i would seriously consider making one from real carbon fiber, and leave it "natural" ...
Considered doing that on the side panels as well (yea with all my spare time)....really hate the "play-Dough" construction of the originals. The German's have a good reputation for being on top of chemicals and the like...but they
totally missed with the selection of the material used on the machine side panels...Terrible stuff!

Cheers Ross

Sorry to intrude do not know where to ask. Good day to all. I have a Deckle 1981 fp2 and need to strip the ram to check the bearings some noise up there. I have no clue to where to ask this question but it is not easy to do with no info. Seems that this site has got huge huge experience.

If i needed a replacement, which thankfully i don't, i would seriously consider making one from real carbon fiber, and leave it "natural" ...
Considered doing that on the side panels as well (yea with all my spare time)....really hate the "play-Dough" construction of the originals. The German's have a good reputation for being on top of chemicals and the like...but they
totally missed with the selection of the material used on the machine side panels...Terrible stuff!

Cheers Ross

Ross, I gather you don't like the side panels! Why? I have seen no issues, and Iike that they are light and easy to lift, unlike the covers on my Monarch lathe...

Dave
They are very fragile...look at them the wrong way and they will crack....It is nice that they are light....but a bit more strength would have been nice.
If you are fortunate to have a good set treat them carefully.....Seen lots of broken ones over the years.

Cheers Ross

Back