What's new
What's new

Deckel Quiz- Who made FP1 copies besides Alexander ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Lots of FP3 and 4 copies out there, but besides Alexander, only one other FP1 twin comes to mind.

There is a gentleman (Dan) in St. Louis that has a copy made in Japan. Don't have the brand name with me right at the moment.

Just remembered the Psychiatrist cum Neurosurgeon (not making this up!) in a Scandanavian country who in addition to a nice rebuilt 10EE has a Deckel FP1 copy. He posted pics in this site but I can't find them now. Swiss made mill but can't remeber the name. Stan.

Danny Vanvorn, and it was a Riken. I've got some pictures of it at home (his one). Recollection is that it looked pretty nice; I think he said the quality was good.... Danny, you still monitor this group? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

--Alan

Yes, I looked at that thread too, and the brochure image is for the '2' variant. I am pretty certain that Dan's machine is an FP1 clone though. I'll dig through the emails tonight.

<< time passes... looking at the link you sent >>
Yep, on the (roughly) 5th response to the thread, Danny indicates that he does have an FP1 clone. I guess my memory is OK after all.

--Alan

Sean...Sean....what are we gonna do wid ya....anyone really in the know in the machine tool world knows there are no 'Harbor Freight' machines....only 'Central Machinery' machines !

Hint= If Salvador Dali had a mill, this would be his mill...

I have a TOS FN25 coming, maybe slightly bigger than the Deckel, 40 taper. Will post pics when it gets here. Then there was my old Maho not sure it doesn't predate the FP1 though
Bob

bob, there are many machines "sort of like" a Deckel FP1....I'm talking near exact copies of the FP1. Neither the TOS nor the Maho are "it".

Stan- the " Psychiatrist cum Neurosurgeon " 's pics of the deckel look alike was listed under the heading "member shop photos" about two years ago. I remember everything was spotless with blue heavy duty racks on all the walls

Markus

Stan- I just located it. It was in Norway. Look under the name--OLE STEEN- under topic member's shops 2002. He listed it as Macmon M100, a swiss FP1 clone. Very nice.

Markus

Several years ago I saw a copy of an FP1 fully equiped at a dealers place here in Oz, I think he said it was from Checkoslovakia. Kick myself now for not having a go at it but didn't know much about the machines then.
DeckepFP1.jpg

I have the Riken machine that is mentioned, it's called a model RTM2 and is a copy of the FP1. It is of Japanese origin and has the date 1971 on the motor plate. It looks like an exact copy of the FP1 at first, has the same footprint, speeds and feeds are the same, etc. There are subtle differences, the dovetails are different sized, T slots are bigger and it has a spindle brake like the FP2 on the vertical head, etc. I have some pictures but for some reason the photo album that the are in won't allow a direct link here. I met another fellow through this forum who sold his FP1 here, then moved to Israel and bought a Riken RTM3 that appears to be a copy of the FP2. In the process of writing back to him I got a little more information on the company history and some photos of his machine. It maybe a myth that Russia made copys of Deckels, they were Rikens biggest customer for use in their precision works. As always I appreciate this forum, I still read this thread frequently but don't have time to get real involved.

Phil, I followed your link to their milling machines and see nothing that looks even remotely like a Deckel of any sort, much less an FP1.

Back