What's new
What's new

Deckel rotary micro- broaching

Nice lathe CNC conversion. The operations shown in this (not great quality) video are pretty conventional. The interesting part - the making of the broach itself - is not shown. For a prototype shop it will be impractical to stock the thousands of possible broach shapes and sizes and the best way is to make those as needed. I make those out of HS reamer blanks on the Deckel SO: in fact there is one in the background of this video so it is possible that he is making those as well. However for splines and similar operations in parts as shown here I prefer to use my small EDM machine.

Nice lathe CNC conversion. The operations shown in this (not great quality) video are pretty conventional. The interesting part - the making of the broach itself - is not shown. For a prototype shop it will be impractical to stock the thousands of possible broach shapes and sizes and the best way is to make those as needed. I make those out of HS reamer blanks on the Deckel SO: in fact there is one in the background of this video so it is possible that he is making those as well. However for splines and similar operations in parts as shown here I prefer to use my small EDM machine.

what relief angle would you incorporate into hex broach 1.5mm across flats?

Back