What's new
What's new

Deckel Slotting Head Question

Jcgrimes

Plastic
Hello, I am considering purchasing a Deckel Slotting Head from another PM member. The unit is missing some parts which look like The tool holder. I don’t have any experience with these units and don’t know if these parts are easily replaced/fabricated. I reached out to Singer who hasn’t responded yet.

Does anyone have a photo of the missing parts?

Thank you,
John
060780C2-1861-4484-B51E-EBD8E666185D.jpg

Hi John,

I don't have a photo of the missing part by itself, but only in place. I can't remember if it's easy to remove. If so, then I can pull it out and take a photo for you and take some measurements.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The part in question would be easy to make on a lathe and you can make it out of any reasonable steel. It's just a cylinder with a threaded stub sticking out. BUT the part needs a rectangular hole cut through it! You can drill a round hole but then need the slotting attachment to square up the corners.

If Singer does not have the part for a reasonable price, my advice is to make two of these parts on the lathe. This should not take you more than a couple of hours. Drill round holes through both where the chisel goes. Then make up a slotting chisel with a round shank that matches. Use the round-shank slotting chisel held in the first part to square off the corners in the second part. Then, optionally, use a square chisel to also square off the second part, and keep it as a spare or sell it on Ebay.

Cheers,
Bruce

Edit: the part is retained with a press-in plug, you can see it at the bottom of this photo. I think the ram needs to be removed to get the plug out and remove the part.

attachment.php

Second edit: looking again at your photo, I think the part is still inside the ram, but the threaded stub is broken off. Offer a low price.

Last edited:
Thanks again Bruce, I looked through the photos again and the part isn’t in the head. I understand the comment about making a square hole and the workaround, but not sure what the actual purpose of this part is? Is it for securing the slotting bit?

Singer said they could make this part for $600.

Thanks again Bruce, I looked through the photos again and the part isn’t in the head.

OK, too bad.

I understand the comment about making a square hole and the workaround, but not sure what the actual purpose of this part is? Is it for securing the slotting bit?

Yes. The slotting chisel has a square or rectangular shank which slides into the matching hole in this part. Then, you tighten the nut. This pulls the part towards the front of the head/machine, trapping it against the inside front of the ram. So the purpose of this part is to clamp the slotting chisel body in the slotting head ram.

Singer said they could make this part for $600.

I think you could do it yourself for less. If you don't want to follow my procedure above, turn the body in a lathe, cut external threads on the stub, and drill a hole through the body. Then take it to a local EDM shop or machine shop with have them square up the corners.

Back