What's new
What's new

Deckel SO parts needed

30 taper

Plastic
Hi all,
I purchased a SO grinder earlier this year and it looks to be missing the grinding wheel hardware and the collet draw bar. Any one parting out an SO??
Sincerely
Lee

I assume by grinding wheel hardware you mean the flanges and nut. Do you have access to a lathe? All the parts you mention are reasonable DIY projects. The drawbar would be the most challenging due to the internal buttress thread, but who doesn't like a challenge, especially when it involves the most fun thing machinists do with their clothes on!

Someone on this group got a tap made with the buttress thread, if I'm not mistaken. Sometimes it goes under the name of artillery thread too, I believe. History, as I understand it, is that this thread was used with large howitzer type guns for adjustment screws. The planform of the thread prevented binding as a result of the recoil from the gun.

--Alan

I think the buttress threads became called artillery threads from usage on breach bolts, the threads backing up the chamber. Once fired, because of the almost perpindicular (sp?) thread face, the impact of the explosion won't lock up the threads.

I have a complete SON single lip cutter grinder for sale for $400. It is the same as the SO, except that it uses the smaller collets. Single phase, 120v motor.

The SON has, as I remember, a diamond grinding wheel, and a partial set of collets. Send me a private message and I will send photographs. It needs a good cleaning and lubrication. I have used it in the past. It has been stored away in my shop since my move to Florida four years ago.

Back