What's new
What's new

Deckel SO Wheel Advice

rgerlach

Aluminum
I just picked up a 1962 vintage SO grinder and have no experience with this style machine. It came with a couple of old but serviceable diamond wheels but no vitrified type wheels to use on HSS. There was also no dresser included. So my question is do I look for a wheel dresser or do I just buy a CBN wheel for doing HSS work?

RonG

I would go with a CBN wheel. When dressing a normal abrasive wheel, the stuff (dust) goes everywhere unless you have a vacuum type pickup.

Daryl

Thanks for the feedback. Any thoughts on cheap Chinese vs pricey domestic sourced CBN wheels? There is a big price difference. As a hobbyist, it is hard to justify $150+ vs $30 for an import. How does one know the real value of a CBN wheel when all the adds look like the same part?

RonG

I would give the import a shot. I know folks that have used a diamond wheel on HSS and it lasted for years, especially if you are using it very occasionally and not 3 shifts a day. I have an Optima drill grinder and they want $450 for a CBN wheel, I have not found a cheaper substitute.

Try the imports. Some are very good, some not so much. Balance and concentricity issues with one or two that I got. And with diamond or CBN, you are not throwing grit everywhere, but you should still look into some sort of dust collection.

Back