What's new
What's new

Deckel Table Allignment

drcoelho

Stainless
For my soon to arrive FPS 300 M (Deckel FP1) I'm wondering about how to align tables. In viewing various photos, it seems like there are two rows of t-slots on the FP1 vertical face, and that the tables have an allignment scheme that catches along the top t-slot, and there are two holes for attaching t-slot bolts along the bottom row.

My question: how accurate are the allignment setups on the tables, can one just set the table alligned to the top t-slot or is there a lot of fiddling required to get the table trammed properly?

Or more simply: when changing FP1 table, how does one get it alligned properly?

Or more simply: when changing FP1 table, how does one get it alligned properly?

The T-slots on the vertical table should be aligned (parallel to X motion) to within about 0.01mm = 0.0004" over their entire length. If not, complain to FPS. This value should be listed on the Test Protocol pages that you get with the new machine.

The fixed horizontal tables have their mounting flange scraped to be perpendicular to the top face and the alignment keys in that mounting flange should be parallel to the top surface. So in principle when you mount a horizontal table on the vertical table, it should be parallel to the X motion with similar precision to the vertical table slots. But you can make minor adjustments to clock this in if you want. I use a test indicator on a magnetic base. The magnetic base clamps on the column, the test indicator goes against the top of the horizontal table, and I sweep back and forth in X, tapping the table with a copper hammer as I snug it up until the deflection is under 0.01mm for the entire length. It takes less time to do it than to type it!

Last edited:
As Bruce points out the table should indicate to run true with the "X" axis....Key should ne scraped to give this and compensate for any disagreement
between the locating slot of the key in the table and the actual dynamic line created by moving the "X" axis.....

The vertical mounting face of the table (rigid) also needs to be scraped (if necessary) to get the table surface to run flat (almost) with the movement of the "Y"
axis....
I say almost as think it is preferable to have the table slightly high at "Y minus" end of the travel...This to help compensate for droop that naturally occurs via wear and the weight of tooling and work....

To check for flat in the "Y" i use a 14" long granite parallel....Makes indicating easier as it averages the surface planing....
Table trammed by moving the "Y: slide or sweeping using a tramming bar and indicator chucked in the vertical spindle should agree,

If the table runs flat to the "X" then the vertical head can be trammed in the conventional manner....ie sweep the surface using a tramming bar and indicator. Use of gauge block or 1,2,3,block is
needed on the table surface to average the planning lines...

Universal tables are set by first setting the table flat with the "X" travel.....
Then the vertical head is set by tramming using a bar and indicator....and setting side to side...then the front to back table tilt is set again via tramming bar and indicator.....A double check on the side to side tram with likely some correction and you are good...

Rotation is the last...set to get the "T" slots running parallel to the "X" movement...

My advice is plan your setups so that when using the universal table you avoid moving it to tilt in the "X" direction....Once set parallel with the "X" you will be ahead if it is left at that. Moving or tilting the table side to side can prove to be a bit trying to get flat again.....Its just the way the clamps and table weight tend to complicate small accurate adjustments of the clamped position of the table top....

Cheers Ross

Back