What's new
What's new

Dissasemble vertical head FP1

Hedghog

Plastic
So i have a broken gear-shield / oilcover in my vertical head for my fp1. This is a 2 pice aluminium cover over the gear the furthest back when mounted. I got a new as a sparepart, but how to remove the horisontal drive axle in order to change this out? Do i need to remove the front beavel gear? I did managed to remove the locknut at the back of the axle but there is just not enough room to pray of the gear itself without somehow move the whole horisontal driveaxle forward... Any ideas?

Last edited:
Hi, if memory serves me, the horizontal drive shaft has to be moved forward, if you have the nut at the rear off, then you need to remove the bevel gear at the front and behind that you will see a triangle (tribach photo 1) arrangement holding the bearing in, mark everything for reference, but do not touch the 3 small setscrews, the socket head cap screws, bigger ones are removed to release. From memory there is also a thrust washer arrangement behind the bearing, ref photo2. Alan.

Attachments

• adjuster.jpg
    adjuster.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 46
  • bearing1.jpg
    bearing1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 47
Hi, if memory serves me, the horizontal drive shaft has to be moved forward, if you have the nut at the rear off, then you need to remove the bevel gear at the front and behind that you will see a triangle (tribach photo 1) arrangement holding the bearing in, mark everything for reference, but do not touch the 3 small setscrews, the socket head cap screws, bigger ones are removed to release. From memory there is also a thrust washer arrangement behind the bearing, ref photo2. Alan.

Thanks, for the info. Ordered correct size socket for locknut holding the bevel gear removal. I got the lock nut on the other side, at the back of shaft, removed, but need to pray of the gear itself from the axle...

OK, so now I have changed the broken cover, and put all back together. Now final question is how much to torque the horizontal axle in the overarm support. It only has a bronze sleeve bearing, and one SKF 6007 I think it was... Both ends on the axle has bearing locknuts, so I need to torque them together... Any ideas on tourqe?

Hi,
I do not have any torque values for this unfortunately, but during my rebuild it was accomplished with the vertical head off and by feel for drag when rotating the drive shaft. The overarm was then installed on the machine and run for a reasonable amount of time, say around 10 minutes, observing for noise and heat build up and tweaking the adjustment nut as necessary. Not scientific by any means.
Make sure you get oil into the lube point at the top of the overarm as this lubricates the bronze bushings, use the same oil as the gearbox as this is where it ends up as it drains down. Good luck with it. Alan.

Back