What's new
What's new

Endmill grinding with Deckel SO

billzweig

Stainless
Deckel SO being a single lip cutter does not easily grind end-mils. However it is a precision machine possessing all the capabilities to do it.
I've made a simple attachment just to do this. It is along the conventional pattern for endmill grinder with little extra precision adjustments.The two micrometers can be set to previously determined values for mill diameter (the horizontal) and the angle of primary and secondary bevels (the vertical with the spindle ground to a taper). The sliding parts are made out of A2 and with close tolerances to minimize any side play.
The grinder rotation is reversed for this procedure - it is easy with the 3 phase VFD I am using to drive the motor.
The face of the endmill is ground using the SO standard spindle set at 180 degrees and tilted to the required angle of the primary and secondary bevels. The spindle can be indexed for two, three, four and six flutes.

By the way, I've added a simple microscope that allows examining of the ground point. It is a black anodized aluminum tube with a microscope eyepiece (I have an eyepiece reticle that allows measurements as well). For the objective I've used a "D" lens from an old 8 mm movie camera.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great idea, nicely executed-this really adds to the utility of an excellent but otherwise rather limited use machine.
Thanks for posting.

Great idea, nicely executed-this really adds to the utility of an excellent but otherwise rather limited use machine.
Thanks for posting.

Thank you, Colt45. I do however find the SO rather a versatile tool. Not only it allows me to make custom cutters, but I use it to make small parts (out of hardened steel) and sometimes even as a small cylindrical grinder - the spindle and the collets are most accurate.
It is as well an excellent drill grinder producing perfect split points.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I've been eyeing an SO or SOE for several years, mostly for sharpening single lip engraving cutters.
I guess my understanding of the capability of the machine was limited-thanks for describing what you do with yours.

Do you find there are any particular vintage of the machine which are more desirable?
Are there any "must have" accessories to get full use of the SO/SOE?

Thanks,
Steve

Great application! To follow the question above, does your end mill application require the SOE functionality or can a regular SO work well?

Thanks, Dan

I've been eyeing an SO or SOE for several years, mostly for sharpening single lip engraving cutters.
I guess my understanding of the capability of the machine was limited-thanks for describing what you do with yours.

Do you find there are any particular vintage of the machine which are more desirable?
Are there any "must have" accessories to get full use of the SO/SOE?

Thanks,
Steve

I've started with the SO for sharpening single engraving cutters, but soon discovered its many other possibilities. Now it is one of my favorite tools in my shop and always a pleasure to use. I am considering buying another one to leave it permanently set up for endmills only.
I think that just about any vintage of the so is fine, but at any cost avoid the copies, especially the current imports. A used SO in good shape is usually not cheap and most need some work. The one I got was in need of some rebuilding and I ended up restoring it completely (not an economic proposition, but rather one of those "fun" projects).

attachment.php

attachment.php

As for accessories, one will need a set of Deckl collets - luckily I share those with my FP1. As well I got an ER16 collet holder (about $10.00) and a set of ER collets (about $25.00). The holder fits my 12mm Deckel collet and the collets are useful in holding smaller drills and and other non standard diameter items.
As for other accessories, I find a VFD drive useful for speed control and easy reversing (my SO is 3 phase), as well as a diamond wheel.

Timely post.I am just modifying my Deckel clone Alexander & Deckel Tool & Cutter Grinders .to sharpen endmills.Like the idea of the stone
running in reverse.I found mine on ebay,I think it was less than 100$.
It looked like crap all slathered in porch paint.Turned out to be
almost perfect.Just missing a wheel guard.

I have also just purchased an Alexander clone ,I hope this model is not "to be avoided at any cost"! I don't think so as Alexander were a quality manufacturer.

Thanks for posting this ,I was going to start a thread about uses for these machines once mine was up and running.

Great application! To follow the question above, does your end mill application require the SOE functionality or can a regular SO work well?

Thanks, Dan

My grinder is a regular SO. I assume SOE will work in same way.

I recently got a Deckel SO clone as a gift. It's a nice tool, takes 5C collets. So far I've used it to sharpen HSS lathe tools and Wohlhaupter cutters, which it does very well. Could you please post a couple of photos showing how you set up your SO to split drill bit points?

Thanks for posting your solution to end mill grinding. I have an SO, along with the drill grinding attachment. I intended to do work to permit end mill grinding, but have not done it yet. I also have a SON grinder, which is the same as the SO, except it uses the smaller size Deckel collets. I have a New Hermes CG30, which is smaller, but similar in operation to the SO. It is a much better machine than the earlier New Hermes cutter grinders.

Jim

I recently got a Deckel SO clone as a gift. It's a nice tool, takes 5C collets. So far I've used it to sharpen HSS lathe tools and Wohlhaupter cutters, which it does very well. Could you please post a couple of photos showing how you set up your SO to split drill bit points?

I am away this week, but will try and take some photos when back.

Is the lamp original? It is a nice bit of industrial design, the little wooden (?) handle on top is great.

The lamp is a little halogen wall lamp I found in a charity store and converted for the application. I made the handle from a piece of Vespel (probably worth more than the whole lamp, but I had a small cutoff)

What bearing arrangement do you have in the endmill worked?

sable, I assume you referring to the spindle (holding the collets) bearing. This is the same arrangement as the original spindle of the SO; a hardened and ground steel spindle running directly in an accurate bore in the housing.

interesting read .
thanks for sharing your project . i lucky enough to have a near Mint So. here it is,
regards
Peter

Attachments

• DSC_8341.jpg
    DSC_8341.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 3,224
  • DSC_8342.jpg
    DSC_8342.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 1,886

Back