What's new
What's new

Ever seen a WMW Heckert "Sabo" drill press ? (pic)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
Just bought one from Machinery Values....very cool machine. Runs beautifully...quiet, easy gear changes, instant spindle brake, power feed, integral MT release mechanism, separate head and table ways..each locks/unlocks and raises/lowers from the front with special wrench. I'd never seen one of these until this one popped up for sale. Made in East Germany in the 1980's.

A bit of optical illusion in the pics in that the Solberga's in background look tiny...they are smaller but not that much smaller. Both MT3 machines with about 22" swing.

IMG_9479-1.jpg IMG_9480-1.jpg IMG_9481.jpg IMG_9475.jpg

WMW Heckert a familiar name with super heavy duty mills, but not drills in my experience....anyone here know what the "Sabo" name is all about ? Google search for more of these seem to indicate this BS25 was the smallest of the series ! They made at least two larger models, but this one is just the right size for me.

Do you guys know how to drop the spindle out. or do you know where I could find a manual or drawings of WMW Heckert pillar drill

Just bought one from Machinery Values....very cool machine. Runs beautifully...quiet, easy gear changes, instant spindle brake, power feed, integral MT release mechanism, separate head and table ways..each locks/unlocks and raises/lowers from the front with special wrench. I'd never seen one of these until this one popped up for sale. Made in East Germany in the 1980's.

A bit of optical illusion in the pics in that the Solberga's in background look tiny...they are smaller but not that much smaller. Both MT3 machines with about 22" swing.

View attachment 327277 View attachment 327278 View attachment 327279 View attachment 327280

WMW Heckert a familiar name with super heavy duty mills, but not drills in my experience....anyone here know what the "Sabo" name is all about ? Google search for more of these seem to indicate this BS25 was the smallest of the series ! They made at least two larger models, but this one is just the right size for me.

If the feed rack is cut into the spindle ,then the feed gear usually has to be removed first...........other wise there is a nut on the top of the spindle.
If the feed rack is cut into the spindle ,then the feed gear usually has to be removed first...........other wise there is a nut on the top of the spindle.
Yes I believe you are right. I have backed off the top bearing preload nut and I believe it just needs a little persuasion to extract it but I'm not totally sure so I don't want to do damage if I have missed something.

Back