Fehlmann Picomax 50 photos - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Wow...rarest of the rare....Not only a Picomax, but one that actually looks to have been used to cut metal....
    Mine has an hour meter in the electrical cabinet... about 2,500 racked up, as I recall

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TNB View Post
    As for spindle tooling, I'd advise you to ask for a quote from Fehlmann.
    I had one a few years back, and very surprisingly, their prices were pretty reasonnable. Far from the sky high prices one would have expected from any reputable swiss company.
    I haven't had a quote from them of late but I remember being surprised back when I first owned the P50 their tooling prices were reasonable.....also the Heidenhain encoder kit for the Z axis was reasonable.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

regarding the SF 32 tooling, I noticed a new ad come up on ricardo.ch - fehlmann-sf32-15pieces if anyone is interested

Had a little free time yesterday to look around the "cat in a bag" P51 cnc I bought from the auction, everything seems in quite good condition mechanically, I moved the axis around by hand and can see scraping marks on both X and Y way surfaces, didn't measure backlash in the screws yet, but they feel quite tight and scale reading suggests that there is very little or no play, not 100% sure if everything is ok in the control cabinet though, 1 box might be missing (not sure if was supposed to be there), attached are the pics of the front and back of the control cabinet, rest of machine is too filthy to show to the internet yet

Machine parameters battery was missing, so the control was basically empty, just to get something going I tried to enter some "generic" "safe" values, got as far as to verify that at least the X/Y scales are working, couldn't get the spindle to fire up nor get the table move (some clutches did seem to engage in the head when tried to switch between different spindle modes from the control), errors regarding hydraulics popped up when trying to move the head up/down etc, emailed Fehlmann service for possibility of obtaining MPs and operators manuals, yet to hear back from them.

Machine came with just a couple sf32 er25 holders and no paperwork apart from Fehlmann accessories catalog and price list for them, so if the Fehlmann service ditches me, it will take quite some effort to reverse engineer the PLC and mate it to the TNC155...

p.s. tried to make it speak English to me via the MP92, but the control wouldn't accept the value "2", so the software might be quite an early or custom version, and I can't really find anything regarding the versions of the software on the web

img_20180813_165103.jpgimg_20180813_165112.jpgimg_20180813_213344.jpgimg_20180813_213933-copy.jpg

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Small update, Fehlmann service was very helpful, they got back to me the next day after I emailed them and sent me parameters file from the latest backup they had, which was in 1992 , but everything started clicking and referencing and stuff, apart from the spindle, which was still showing an error message.
    Long story short, got the control into a mode that shows status for all inputs (to try and figure out which input is causing the error message), and noticed a suspicious "1" at "Mains fault", that got me thinking, just maybe the rotation of the supplied 3 phases was in the wrong direction (which is rarely a problem, because all the power supplies and drives I've dealt with so far are rectifying power and then making their own AC from that), because all the phases were present... and after swapping 2 line wires around - the spindle starts to work! And now even the diagram on the control for head movement is moving the head in the same direction as the arrow is pointing (was reversed before, but it worked, so I didn't pay attention to that).
    Now all that is left is to get the English eprom, and clean clean clean... the last operator was a real fan of air gun it seems to clean the machine table, I see loads of chips behind the panels that protect scales, and X scale sometimes is failing causing the control to halt, I hope it's just dirt in the scale...
    Attached is a picture of a somewhat unpleasant discovery behind the X scale, they've made some custom cased glue filled 3pack of regular micro switches to serve as limit and reference points, top 2 of that pack seem fine, but the "click" on the bottom one is very very faint, it still works, but usually means it is about to fail
    img_20180815_205621.jpg

5. Likes TNB liked this post
    Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last Thursday I placed an order for a few SF32 holders from these guys I mentioned earlier http://www.swissmachines-shop.ch, they email back almost right away, made the payment via paypal and today too early for me in the morning a courier woke me up with a phone call that they want to deliver a package... I've ordered a few things from shops all around EU and this is by far the fastest service and very reasonable shipping price for a 3 day delivery time, weekend in between even, 53eur for ~3kg

now all that is missing is the English eprom from Heidenhain, they responded couple days after my initial email, asked few more numbers from the control, and said the eprom would be ~50eur + shipping, which is nice

I'm also thinking of doing a a full backup of all eproms there are on the control, just in case, they are just over 30 years old after all, checked all the voltage rails in the control, and everything was nice and stable, no ripple or other problems considering the age of caps in this thing.

7. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

img_4785.jpg

"shined" up the table finally.... Kurt 4" vise sure looks "unworthy" in that photo... funny how a little iPhone 7 camera function will reveal things one normally doesn't see, like dirt in crevices not noticed before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milacron View Post
    funny how a little iPhone 7 camera function will reveal things one normally doesn't see, like dirt in crevices not noticed before.
    Good and crisp as the IPhone7 pics are, they don't reveal the slightest chip on your machine !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TNB View Post
    Good and crisp as the IPhone7 pics are, they don't reveal the slightest chip on your machine !
    Ironic as I purposely brushed the chips back behind the vise area just for the photo...didn't realize "chip" photos were so exciting or I would have left them

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm sure you noticed Ross seems to appreciate them !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Personal point of view , that....it is not a "machine tool" unless it cuts metal on a regular basis....Of course it could be under rebuild or being readied for sale....for that you get a mulligan....

Day job is the same....I work on "Old Cars"...to be so defined they have to be driven regularly...not shunted to some dusty museum, or housed in glass cases....

Cheers Ross

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    Personal point of view , that....it is not a "machine tool" unless it cuts metal on a regular basis....Of course it could be under rebuild or being readied for sale....for that you get a mulligan....

Day job is the same....I work on "Old Cars"...to be so defined they have to be driven regularly...not shunted to some dusty museum, or housed in glass cases....

Cheers Ross
    Felhmann P50 is graven image to be worshiped....violation of The Ten Commandments....unless you are Catholic