Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It think it triggers several seconds after the drive is energized.

When I power up the machine with the main switch it does the following:

-"Speichertest" (Memory Test) This takes some 10 seconds
    - After that I press the CE switch and hear that the drive is energized (some big relays switching). Approx 3 seconds after that, the RCD is triggering and cuts all power.

Only solution I have upto now is temporary: Disconnet PE of the machine and connect trough a resistor to limit the error current through PE. Whith that everythin works fine.
    But that cannot be the solution, as this also lowers the protection of the PE wire.

If I let the drive energize with PE disconnected, and wait 10 seconds and then reconnect PE, the RCD still triggers after 2 seconds. So it does not seem to be an inrush current problem.
    I get arround 40mA of current through PE, which is enough to trigger the RCD.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is interesting, now I'm tempted to put ammeter on the PE wire of my machine

I will not claim that this is how it should be on all of these machines, because it may vary depending on the PLC program, but on my machine, after power up:
    A) it does the memory test
    B) then I need to press the CE, just like you do
    C) then it powers up X/Y axis servo drives (the spindle drive is NOT powered at this time)
    D) then TNC wants the X/Y reference to be done
    E) then it goes into manual mode (hand icon)
    the spindle drive is still not powered on my machine at this point (all the leds on the drive are dark), I must do it manually with the M3 button on the console (this is when the leds light up on the Stromag drive), or it can be done in program execution modes via code

so if your machine is acting like mine, and RCD is tripping as after C step, then I'd start the investigation with the X/Y servo drives, because the main drive is not even turned on at the moment, all the current draw (apart from powering the TNC itself), should be related to holding position of X/Y axis via servo motors (there are no brakes on these servos)

unfortunately Fehlmann didn't include any electric schematics of the machine when they emailed me the PDFs and machine parameters, so I doubt I will be more of help to you at this time, I hadn't have any problems with X/Y servos, didn't even do the tachogenerator maintenance on them yet (which I should...)

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi!

I stand corrected!

You are very right, as the RCD tripps probably not because of the spindle drive, but has something todo with the x/y servo drives.
    I checked again the sequence, and the it is identical on my machine, as you have described it.

RCD tripps shortly after step C.

I will focus my investigation on the servo drives then.

I assume I cant just disconnect the servo drives and or the servos, without producing an error, which does prevents the drive from being energised...?

I wish a good day.

I think I will buy the the documentation stuff from Fehlmann. Could save me some time..

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just want to let you guys know, what I found out:

These (old) types of X/Y Axis drives and also the Spindle drive produce residual currents, flowing back to the source through the PE conductor.
    This is due to capacitve coupling and the design of the drive filter stages. This is completely normal behaviour for such a machine.

I measured an RMS current through PE is 18mA when the drive is in powered steady state.
    When X/Y or spindle drive is powered up, current spikes up to 50mA can occur, which is also normal. This will trip an RCD device.

The solution for this is easy: Don't use an RCD device in your elecrical panel

Unfortunately where I live, these RCDs are mandatory for all outlets. The only way is, to have the machine directly connected to the breaker, without a plug.
    This allow to have no RCD. This is what I finally did and the machine is working great, so far!

Thanks alot!

I now have the full manual of the machine, the servo drive and also the electrical schematic of the cabinet. If somebody needs it, let me know.

Back to the machine:

I read you did some measurments on the spindle runout?
    My spindle has a runout of arround 0.012mm (directly in the taper), which is out if spec. But i dont thik that this will be a problem for me.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

TIR on the bottom part of the spindle taper on my machine was about 0.003mm

0.015 sounds like a good reason to remove the spindle and at least get a hand feel of how it rotates, before it deteriorates more

I was planing on doing preventative maintenance on mine, clean, new grease etc, but I don't have detailed enough drawings of the quill to figure out how to proceed with taking it apart, and since mine sounds and works well, I just don't want to go in there just yet

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok, thanks for the info.

Did you use a testbar to check the true TIR?

I think I dont trust myself to dismantle the spindle, just yet..

How much TIR do you have, when a tool is inserted, on the toolholder?

FYI:
    Fehlmann offered to make a spindle service for 4k CHF.

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't have a SF32 test bar, I indicated on the spindle taper directly

regarding TIR with tools, I mostly use ER25 collet holders, and tap in the nut on each tool to get it under 0,01mm, the only holder I have that could be indicated is the face mill holder, but not much point measuring that

there are probably ultra precision bearings in that spindle, which is 1.5-2+k for the set at least, so that 4k isn't totally unreasonable Chiron asked a little more than that just for a set of 2 1m long 45mm linear guides with carriages

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi!

I also thought this is quite reasonable.

BTW: A question on how to best use the machine, when milling:

As the Z-Axis is not controlled automatically by the controller, how do write programms for this?
    I mean, for example,if you want to mill a piece out of thick material and you need multiple passes.
    So you would programm the outline of the piece, manually adjust the Z-Depth, then let the programm run, then re-adjust the Z-Height and so on, till the piece is milled out.

Are you doing it also like this? Or is there a better way?

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have only used it to mill plastic and aluminum, and when milling aluminum, I use al specific ZcN coated 3fl end mills, 10mm (22mm cut length), and I've programmed adaptive toolpaths with ~1.2mm step over with 0.05-0.08mm chip load at around 7k rpm, and with these parameters I could cut up to 20mm deep in one pass (6082 aluminum), it sounded good, no vibration, no squeeling, there is deflection of course, which results in some roughness on the bottom face, but finishing pass to final depth takes care of that

so to apply this strategy I would drill a hole to nearly bottom of the pocket (or through, if the part allows), and then in the milling program just go to the drill hole location, manually lower to the full depth and mill it out in one pass, then finish pass at final depth if needed

one note regarding built in cycles for rectangular and round pockets, formula for step over is k=K*R (R=tool radius, K=machine parameter 176), individual cycle definitions do not include that parameter, and factory default MP176 was 0.5 on my machine, which would work for plastics, but not so much for aluminum, I reduced it to 0.1, which again allows me to use those cycles at full depth, and probably, with some tweaking, could be used for manual helical ramping if you can't or don't want to use predrilled holes like I described earlier

you could also use column M codes to drop into a predrilled hole (the manual column height button on the lower control panel must not be lit for this to work automatically, else you will need to press START for each column height adjustment in the program), one of the column stops has a fine adjustment, I haven't used that yet, but I have a part to make soon where I may try it out

then there is the rotating quill stop to the left of the spindle which could be used to quickly set Z depth, and the central height stop with vernier scale for some finer control

Country
    SWITZERLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Used your technique (drop into hole with the column) with great success.

I read thaty ou have connected your machine to your PC.

How did you set it up? Are you drip feeding it or sending the whole programe?

Where did you find the Pinning? And COM settings?

Cheers

Country
    LATVIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had problems setting up serial connection between the TNC and PC, I wrote about it earlier, serial signal level from the TNC wasn't full +12 for a "1", it was at +2~3V range, on top of that, default machine parameters had zeroes in where the settings for serial port should be, which led me into thinking that perhaps the serial connection was a payed option which my machine didn't have, I don't know

I put together a very crude amplifier from an ATX power supply (+/-12V source) and an opamp to boost the low voltage up to the required +12, which together with the required machine parameters allowed me to use Heidenhains TNCremo server to upload/download programs, drip feed also worked, but I had some weird problems with couple programs where the program wouldn't work in drip feed mode (TNC would complain about error in line xx), but would upload and execute normally from the machines memory, might have been something to do with the post processor I edited and used with F360, hadn't have time to debug it fully

I don't have the notes with me right now, I'll post the exact MPs for serial settings on the TNC and on the PC side in the evening, when I'll get back home

here is a pic of port settings on the PC side:
    capture.jpg

on the TNC:
    MP 71: 515
    MP 218: 17736
    MP 219: 16712
    MP 220: 279
    MP 221: 5382
    MP 222: 168
    MP 223: 1
    MP 224: 4

cable diagrams can be found here:
    https://product.heidenhain.de/JPBC/i...56-02-A-02.pdf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg  
    Last edited by jz79; 11-26-2019 at 04:42 PM.