What's new
What's new

Fitting DRO Scales to a Deckel FP1

Neil Scully

Plastic
Hello,

I did try searching to see if this had been covered before but came up blank.

I need to fit scales onto my Deckel FP1. The Y axis seems straight forward and won't clash with any existing features. The X and Z less so. I am struggling to think how to do it without loosing the use of the travel stops and clash with existing features. I have the slimline GS30 scales for X and Y and a standard size for the Z.

Can anyone provide guidance and photographs of how they have done it?

Many thanks,

Neil

Here’s some pictures of how I did my 1951 FP1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
f21f9407d32d7ac538360d94022929c9.jpg

Don't own an FP1 , nor have i ever fitted scales to one. Plenty of experience with the FP2 and FP3 versions .
My two cents of wisdom is if mounting an "X" axis scale be careful to mount the read head and thus the scale as far away from the operators side of the slide as possible....
Don't make the mistake of centering the scale on the vertical casting , keep it pushed to the left away from the operators hand wheels.
This will orient the scale spar away from the elevating hand wheel when the table is moved far to the right , gives hand better clearance....

Mount the scale as close to the slide as possible, and toward the forward edge. This will give space for the trip stops to live behind the scale. Some extended bolt heads that extend the trip stop
clamps so as to allow use i believe is possible....

Here is a shot of the mounting of the "X: axis read head on an FP2....

attachment.php

Cheers Ross

... mount the read head and thus the scale as far away from the operators side of the slide as possible....
Don't make the mistake of centering the scale on the vertical casting , keep it pushed to the left away from the operators hand ...

Plus, try to mount the X scale at least flush to the vertical table, or even better a bit towards the machine. It's a Deckel feature to be able to mount large parts directly on the vertical table (and most useful on a small mill like the FP1), sometimes discarded by setting the X scale protruding from the vertical table face..

BR,
Thanos

Hi Neil,

Thank you to everyone. I now have it all drawn up and the materials to hand.

I have an FP2 not an FP1, and it already has a 3-axis DRO. But for future FP1 owners who want to add a DRO, could you please post your drawings? I'm sure they will be helpful for future members of this group.

Cheers,
Bruce

Mount the scale as close to the slide as possible, and toward the forward edge. This will give space for the trip stops to live behind the scale. Some extended bolt heads that extend the trip stop
clamps so as to allow use i believe is possible....

Cheers Ross

I make brackets that keep a gap between scales and underside of the table to give space to a open end wrench to adjust the stops
The scales I have are too wide to do it your way
These stops are not used very much so for occasional use my solution is fine

Peter

Back