What's new
What's new

Flip-head VS Needle Bearing Head

toolnuts

Cast Iron
Hi All,

Can an older 3150 rpm FPxNC be retrofitted with the new style
flip-head 6,300 rpm spindle?

I'm still looking for a FPxNC that's for sale.

I responded to the,"Deckel FP3-NC Dialog 3, possibly parting out, retrofit ideas, etc."
but I never got any response from 1000EE. 1000EE, if your out there I'm still interested
in buying your broken FP3NC.

Thanks for any help,

Paul Hoffman

The 6300 spindle gets the added RPM's from a 1:2 speed increasing gear that resides in the upper portion of the "Y" slide.
Believe the lower portion is essentially the same as the earlier 3150 machine "Y" slide. But the top is all different. Has the speed doubling gear and carries the top flip assembly to flip the vertical head back.

If you found a machine someone was scraping and you could score the upper casting and vertical head including the flip mechanism perhaps you could marry the two ...not sure this would work as don't know anyone who has
tried this....logic points to this being likely.

Other issues is that you would need the oil supply distribution setup to supply oil to the bevel gearing.
Further you would need to acquire and fit the dry break that allows return of vertical the head oil to the lower portion of the "Y" axis casting.....

Could i suppose swap the entire "Y" slide...upper and lower with the vertical head. You would need to look at the fit up of the "Y" dovetails if this was the move.

Don't think over speeding the original 3150 vertical head is in the cards. The real flip head setup has angular contact ball bearings. Don't think the needles will tolerate the increased speed....

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross,

I wouldn't think that the needle bearing would stand up to any thing
over the 3150 rpm.

I was just hoping that someone had tried lashing up a flip-up-head to
the older 3,150 rpm style machine.

Paul

Back