Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ballen View Post
    I originally tried running cutting oil instead of water based coolant. It made a horrible mess. After two sessions I pumped it all out and sold it.
    This is what I have read as well trying to determine what to go with and I really don't like the idea of oil everywhere. I read in some shops every surface and tool eventually got oil on it. In that case I believe I prefer to muck about with water based coolants than run off more cleanly.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I originally tried running cutting oil instead of water based coolant. It made a horrible mess. After two sessions I pumped it all out and sold it.
    And there's the difference between machinists and dilettantes ....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coolant concentration, water quality (tap/distilled/RO) and water hardness all play roles in whether you may get rust, or the degree of rusting you experience.

I have an RO water system, run concentrations at, or higher than the coolant manufacturer recommends to prevent rust, but still get some rusting. I have concluded it's going to be an unavoidable fact of life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not to mention the disposal problems.....Coolant (water based) has a life span no matter what the snake oil sales men tell you!..It will become contaminated , collect bacteria , stink and the rust inhibitors in the mix will fail.
    Stuff will need replacing and you will need to deal with the toxic waste of the used coolant.....Can't answer for all, but where i live disposal of toxic materials is costly...something that must be factored into the
    initial cost of the coolant...
    Cutting oil last forever....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been using the cutting oil that Ross recommends, which is a light oil. I generally use it on the FP2NC because It drains back to the sump and does not leave any mess. I think the machine is cleaner with than without it, because of the way it washes fine particles down into the sump. However, my mill has a full enclosure. A lot of oil does end up hitting the windows, so I understand your objection, Bruce. Perhaps you could put in some plastic curtains, like they use around welding equipment, that you could pull out of the way when you don’t need them? They also make coolant shields that are small and sit on the mill table. I’ve never used one, but it might solve the problem.