What's new
What's new

FP1 Dividing Head Chuck

Cassbay

Plastic
I have a dividing head accessory for my FP1 but it does not have a chuck. Before I buy a semi finished backplate and make a new mount to suit an accessory chuck does anyone know if suitable chucks are available and / or what the thread is on the dividing head?

Is it possible to connect the head to the mill so as to rotate the head as the table traverses?

There is no provision to do helical milling with the standard dividing head from Deckel. That chore requires the addition of the spiral milling attachment which consists of a main head with spindle and extension that carries the tailstock. The head assembly bolts to the vertical slide of the machine (remove the table) and requires a coupling shaft and a gearbox that mounts to the non operators end of the "X" axis. "Kit" also requires a set of change gears that provide the ratios to produce a range of leads.

I am guessing you do not have an operators manual for your machine as the manual shows both the dividing head and spiral milling attachment. Might consider investing in the DVD that "Wrench" on this board is offering.

As to the spindle thread, might be able to find a chuck and mount if you watch the Euro e-bay sites, but if you have a lathe think making your own would not be a big deal.
I have 40 taper heads and have made all my own mounts (not threaded, but fit over the spindle nose).
Not sure about in the UK, but over here Bison chucks are a good choice for a dividing head. A small 4 jaw is not too pricey and the quality is good.

Cheers Ross

I bought a 3-jaw and a 4-jaw from Franz Singer. I bought the 4-jaw to avoid using the 4-jaw from the lathe with an adaptor, only to discover that Deckel never provided independent 4-jaws - which is what I wanted, so I still use a lathe chuck sometimes. Singer's chucks come from Klopfer.

- Mike -

Hi HelEx.

Would you be interested in a _new_ Röhm 160mm (6 1/4") combination chuck,
which is at the same time both centering and independant?
(with recess for mounting on a back flange)

I suppose it's made for repeated off-centre jobs on a lathe.

I bought it off German ebay, but I don't think I'll have a need for it.

Cheers
Erik

Let me not hi jack the OP, but having just picked up a set of 6 division plates at a good price, I am going over my own dividing head, while making the required modifications.
This unit is made by "The K. Mfg. Company." from Wisconsin. It is quite a relic and may have historical value if not hysterical significance ;-).
It is fitted with an interesting three jaw chuck made by Union Mfg. that allows some adjustment due to the play in the ring gear that dirves the independent jaw pinions and screws. The entire device is old, but works just fine (like it's owner ;-)

To the topic. The spindle is threaded 2 1/4" X 10 TPI.
Not 2 1/4 X 8 as is a common lathe configuration, and not 2 3/16 X 10 as is the Hardinge threaded spindle. I have chucks with both mentioned backing plates, and neither fits the dividing head. A quick look for commercial backing plates turned up no reference to the 2 1/4 X 10 configuration. Go figure!
The unique thread configuration sure complicates turning up an adaptor to fit either of the other two threads/

Sorry, no Deckel information, just what is going through at the moment.

CalG

I went through all this with my head with no chuck, I bought a chuck, turned up a cast iron plate to suit and took the spindle out of the head then put the plate on and turned the register for the chuck with the whole assembly betwen centres.
A bit over kill but it runs true.
Peter

Hi HelEx.

Would you be interested in a _new_ Röhm 160mm (6 1/4") combination chuck,
which is at the same time both centering and independant?
(with recess for mounting on a back flange)

I suppose it's made for repeated off-centre jobs on a lathe.

I bought it off German ebay, but I don't think I'll have a need for it.

Cheers
Erik

Hello Erik,
i am intrested of this chuck,would you inform price.
Happy new year from Viilari Finland

I went through all this with my head with no chuck, I bought a chuck, turned up a cast iron plate to suit and took the spindle out of the head then put the plate on and turned the register for the chuck with the whole assembly betwen centres.
A bit over kill but it runs true.
Peter

Went a slightly different route when making adapters for my dividing head. Made the adapter and fit it to the dividing head spindle...(i have the 40 taper version, but the process would be the same)
With the adapter mounted i fit the dividing head on the mill and used an end mill to finish both the chuck mounting face and also make the step to register the chuck. Just touch the end mill to the adapter face and rotate the dividing head spindle using the crank....the end of the mill will make the step, adjust the "Z" depth of your mill to change the step (register) diameter. Just make sure you are on center with the dividing head spindle........Oh and be careful to not allow the end mill to dwell on the chuck mounting face. Make several rotations with each depth move to allow the cutter to "cut out", finally backing off the depth while keeping the dividing head spindle rotating to free your cutter when doing the final finish.
With this method the adapter is dead true with the dividing head spindle as it will be used in service.

Cheers Ross

Back