What's new
What's new

fp1 overarm vertical head lubrication

The fp1 I acquired last winter came with a manual regarding lubrication which indicates lube points on the vertical head. There are no lube points on the head so I assume this is a newer factory lubed NFL model. Anybody have any insight on this?

There are things like the quill in the head casting, splined/keyway drive shaft in the bevel gear and such that need lubrication.... this is above and beyond the spindle bearings. So yes, there are lubrication points.... even if it is to just add a few drops of lube at a joint.

Not sure how old/what model of machine you are talking about, so specifics would be a guess until we have more information.

Deckel vertical head lubrication

Life gets in the way. Been a while since I asked the question about vertical head lubrication. The Deckel I own does not have a fitting on the front to lubricate the spindle bearings, nor does it have anything anywhere else on the head. The drive lube from the main body seems straight forward according to the manual. I attached pictures.

The head is sn 30934 and the machine sn is also 30934. It appears that the spindle bearings are permanently lubed but I don't know for sure.

Attachments

• 082011_0306.JPG
    082011_0306.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 316
  • 082011_0307.JPG
    082011_0307.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 280
  • 082011_0308.JPG
    082011_0308.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 665
  • 082011_0309.JPG
    082011_0309.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 423
That sure looks like the Deckel that was at Cabin fever. That is a nice mill. Nice that it you didn't have to travel to far to aquire it. My FP1 is a couple of hundred serial #s back from yours (29826), and has a lube port right near the tag on the front of the head.---Dave

Are you sure yours doesn't have a little slotted head set screw in the top marked "OI" . On the outer ring with four holes there should be a fifth one with the set screw.

Chris P

Attachments

• deckelspindleoil.jpg
    deckelspindleoil.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 700
Chris is pointing you right, that is actually my vertical head (identical to yours) and you oil the top bearing through that set screw and the quill bore through the key way slot. Not a lot of oil, but a few drops on occasion (depending upon how much you run the machine).

The internal "spindle" bearings are greased with Kluber Isoflex grease, this requires a complete teardown and cleaning.... been there, done that.... have pictures of all of this over on the DMOG yahoo group.

Hi Chris,

This thread is perhaps somewhat older, but still actual for me: Thanks to your picture, I finally found the "OL" hole. The manual indicates a lubrication point somewhere on the vertical spindle head, but I never found it. Finally I got it. Thanks!

Back