drcoelho

Stainless
Thank you Franz Singer, just got these in:

Per Singer "good as new" Precision Boring Head, from an FP4M:
IMG_20190221_152546.jpg

And the imfamous FP1 Riser:
IMG_20190221_152614.jpg

Bad news: the FP1 Riser is missing the internal shafts/gears

Good news: this is quite a simple device, and I've got both sides of it, the Precision Boring Head and the FPS 300 M (Deckel FP1) mill, so re-manufacturing the gears to match should not be an issue.

I am assuming that the bores for the gear shafts are already finished as are the dovetail surfaces.
Looks like it includes the dovetail locking pucks as well....

Nice ,but lets not go off half cocked here....don't we have to noodle about this some, make several incarnations of drawings and ruminate about how this is going to proceed, plot our critical path and check the stars?
. ;)

Cheers Ross

It's a complete FP1 Riser, all holes bored, dovetail surfaces finished...it is the finished product from Deckel, and appears to be new. It is missing only the shafts and gears.

AND YES, every step from here on out VERY carefully designed, reviewed, and double checked :)

Given that the FP1 Riser has pre-determined the location of the shafts and the shaft diameters, and the Precision Boring Head has predetermined the position and type of the top FP2 driving gear, and the FPS 300 M has pre-determined the position and type of the bottom FP1 driving gear, I believe the gear design is pretty well constrained to a fixed solution.

Ross, you and I had discussed about how to hold the shafts from rotating. Turns out, Deckel has screw holes on the ends of both top and bottom bore hole, so they used screws to hold the shaft from rotating..probably means a weldon type cut in the shaft where the screw hits it. This will make manufacture of the shaft quite a bit simpler, don't need to worry about interference fit, etc..

Also, careful review of all the photos I have tracked down shows pretty clearly that the bottom FP1 gear is rather wide, with part of it being driven by the FP1 spindle drive, and the other part of it driving a matching FP1 gear on the upper shaft. The upper shaft has two gears, the afore mentioned FP1 gear which is driven from the bottom, a connector, and a second FP2 gear which drives the boring head.

FYI, I aquired also from Singer a sample FP1 gear and a sample FP2 gear which will be analyzed.

David

Agreed. I plan on analyzing the Deckel sample gears I received from Singer, and will manufacture to the same specification.

I plan on analyzing the Deckel sample gears I received from Singer, and will manufacture to the same specification.

Zahnradkopf is active in PM and based in Milwaukee. He makes gears and is always willing to help out another PM member. So if you are not set up for this, you might ask him for a quote.

Zahnradkopf is active in PM and based in Milwaukee. He makes gears and is always willing to help out another PM member. So if you are not set up for this, you might ask him for a quote.

Very useful lead, I will follow up with him...thx.

I am assuming that the bores for the gear shafts are already finished as are the dovetail surfaces.
Looks like it includes the dovetail locking pucks as well....

Nice ,but lets not go off half cocked here....don't we have to noodle about this some, make several incarnations of drawings and ruminate about how this is going to proceed, plot our critical path and check the stars?
. ;)

Cheers Ross

Hi Deckeleers,

Ross, it`s good to see that you appreciate the fine points of machine design and how to go about it but this riser project is really easy peasy isn`t it! It would be hard to get it wrong

I look forward to seeing the price for the finished article when the riser is put into production.

David has shown that he is resourceful by obtaining the riser casting as he was never going to get the info that he needed on this forum.

Alan

Back