What's new
What's new

Aciera F4 coolant pump replacement

shapeaholic

Stainless
Along the road of the repair of my F4 I have found that the coolant pump is beyond economical repair.

Can anyone suggest a replacement?

sorry I didn't take a picture before I disassembled it...

Peter

Do you need it? Coolant on a manual mill just causes a messy headache. I have an F4 and F5, and have never used the coolant pumps on either. I use mist coolant on the Deckel FP2NC when milling aluminum. I mostly use carbide tooling. Steel and brass cut just fine dry. I use brushed oil when drilling steel using HSS.

IMO rklopp has a good point.

I've got my FP2 set up so that I can use either flood coolant (water-soluble oil emulsion) or compressed air/oil mist, but I almost always go with the air/oil mist. For a thin slitting saw in a deep cut, I'll use the flood coolant to wash out the swarf and provide the best cooling and lubrication. For almost everything else I use the mist, because it makes cleanup a lot easier.

I also removed the coolant pumps on some of my machines, where it was getting in the way.

Water based flood coolant on machines that are only used occasional, is more trouble than good IMO, creeps into slideways, spindle bearings, below vices and into dividing heads/rotary tables/universal tables and does all kind of bad stuff there, like corrosion and displacement of way oil.

I use old way oil or water based coolant from spray bottle when necessary, otherwise dry. On aluminum and on deep slots, flood coolant would be kinda nice, but not worth of having a messed up machine after a while. Cleaning below a vice after coolant from spray bottle isn't that much work, flood coolant gets everywhere, so you basically have to strip down a machine, if you want to get it out of every corner.

Mist coolant would be nice, but needs compressed air and costs quite a bit AFAIK, so haven't installed it on any of my machines, yet,

I am with Rich on this with the exception of the FP-NC's.....
There i use spot cutting oil for drilling and deep work.
If running a complex contour where lots of chips i use cutting oil...Don't want to bother with the soluble stuff...having to check the PH and oxygenate and skim tramp oil is
all just too much work for my use/benefit....It is messy, but won't cause any issues with the machine mechanicals...no rust or dried crud under fixtures and vices....

Cheers Ross

Back