What's new
What's new

FP2 collets?

Call GTI and ask for a price from 1/4" to 1" collets (possibly metric only now) for the S1 Tool & Cutter Grinder.
You know that you must use the S0 collet for sizes below 6 mm and can use them up to 5/8" with the Adapter Sleeve 2245-320.
--
Arno

Jim:
Was not so long ago tht you could get new from DMG. Last time i looked they were about $150.00 ea in inch sizes. Don't know if they still carry them. If I was in the market for a collet system for an FP2 and did not wish to change the drawbar i would look for the collet closer Deckel offered that had the front closing nut like a "TG" collet....My manual just calls these "Collet Chucks".
I see these from time to time and have been able to purchase some from Germany on e-bay..Perhaps Singer would be a good choice...
At any rate they will fit the standard drawbar and do not require removal to change a collet..a nice feature if you happen to have the long reach head accessory that covers up the horizontal drawbar.
Inch collets are still avaliable from MSC of all people and they are called "Full Grip" collets in the catalogue....My book is old and it has been some time since i bought any of these, but the price shown is about $22-28 per collet..Think the ones Deckel sold were those listed in MSC as the 1" system.
Cheers Ross

Don't see anybody recommending ER32 or ER40 collets? Wouldn't this be a cheaper and better way to go?

What is the taper on an FP2 anyway?

Chris P

FP2 has a 40 taper spindle, and I would definitely suggest the ER over the TG collets. We used both in the shop for years and the ER design is better, provides a much better runout and longevity compared to TG. I have also seen TG collets pop out of the nut and not release the tool.

German eBay has had plenty of the ER collet chucks showing up.... shouldn't be a "break the bank" situation to get one shipped over here.

I bought a ER32 collet check with MT4 taper and Deckel threads from Singer, and I am happy with it. The only thing I don't like is that it adds a lot of overhang. Some of this is because of the smaller MT4 taper, but you may want to check what the overhang will be with the 40 taper.

My way of doing it is making a new pullbar so one can use the best available 40 taper
For Europe that would be Din 2080
With the short toolholders used on CNC machines (BT Mas- Din 698710)combined with a pullstud M16-S20x2 you can use the original pullbar
Er is good but also Weldon works great

This is 40 taper?? I thought it was a
proprietary deckel taper.

Interestingly the machine already *has* an
ER type adapter. Maybe I should just leave
well enough alone.

Thanks again - Jim

It is a standard 40 taper in the taper area... yes, it has an odd pull stud/thread on the end, 20mm x 2mm buttress thread. As others mentioned, you can make a new drawbar or get draw studs to use either CAT40 or BT 40 holders, or modify the NMTB40 holders... lots of ways to go, it's up to you.

I agree with Ztarum on the extended length of the ER holders... seems an enterprising sort with access to a CNC lathe could whip up some short coupled ER holders for both the MT4 and 40 taper spindles....

Jim,
the ID of the spindle accepts a NMTB #40 tool holder if you first remove the female Deckel S20x2 draw bar. You can make yourself a 5/8"-11 male for American or 16 mm for European tooling and everything will fit. You can even use cheap CAT 40 if you make the 5/8"-11 draw bar longer by the amount of the cylindrical portion of the NMTB 40 shank.
This will be perfectly OK if you want to use a collet chuck all the time. If you want to change tool holders most of the time the Deckel thread has an advantage because of the superior holding power of that thread design and easy ejection of the tool shank.
--
Arno

Jim,

So is there now an FP2 along with the little Hardinge miller and the two lathes in your shop? From your photos in the past I would imagine this to have been a rather tight squeeze!

--Larry

Heh. The fp2 is at an udisclosed, secret
off-site location. Translation: work!
It's the new companion to my 1958 vintage
HLVH there.

The poor thing was being surplussed, and I
made the reasonable case that we had a business
need for it. And the powers that be said "OK"
and the rest is just setting it up.

Jim

Jim,
I bought some of these collets new a few years back, fractional up to an inch around $150 each from Deckel grinders. I found they were almost half price from what DMG quoted me then? I think Arno is on the right track, tell them they are for an S-1 grinder.
Dan

My way of doing it is making a new pullbar so one can use the best available 40 taper
For Europe that would be Din 2080
With the short toolholders used on CNC machines (BT Mas- Din 698710)combined with a pullstud M16-S20x2 you can use the original pullbar
Er is good but also Weldon works great

Hi, I wonder if anyone would like to answer a question. I have a deckel fp 2 and use the original drawbar.I have bought drive ring 1mm of singer and then pullstud M16-S20x2 and used with sk 40 DIN 69871 tool this works perfectly. but I wonder if I can use this drive ring and pullstud M16-S20x2 with these tools also BT40 (JIS B 6339. best regards

Back