What's new
What's new

FP2 Deckel Serial Number

Veloce

Plastic
Hello All,
I am looking at purchsing a FP2 Deckel but have no clue how to interpret the serial number. Any help would be much appreciated. The machine is pristine, has low hours and many attachments. The serial number is 45193. Please see attached picture.

Thanks,
Bob

Attachments

• Deckel FP2.jpg
    Deckel FP2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,631
Hello All,
I am looking at purchsing a FP2 Deckel but have no clue how to interpret the serial number. Any help would be much appreciated. The machine is pristine, has low hours and many attachments. The serial number is 45193. Please see attached picture.
Probably made in mid to late 60's....but on Deckels the exact year doesn't matter....all that matters is the generation and the condition.

Actually that machine is probably mid to late 50s. 60s machines would have the on/off buttons higher up.
Yeah, that is first generation FP2 judging from the gear change arrangement... but mid to late 50's ? I could see early 60's I guess...

Hmm head is different but in the one pictured above still very different than the 60s ilk. The 60s version (buttons moved up) didn't have the spindle lock on the front of the head as the one pictured above does.

Also different (between the two 1954s) looks like the inching wheel (larger on machine above) and it looks like there may be a separate electrical cabinet on the machine above.

Hmm head is different but in the one pictured above still very different than the 60s ilk. The 60s version (buttons moved up) didn't have the spindle lock on the front of the head as the one pictured above does.

Also different (between the two 1954s) looks like the inching wheel (larger on machine above) and it looks like there may be a separate electrical cabinet on the machine above.
I guess it was Peterve's 1954 that looked like it came out of an Egyptian tomb that made me think the OP's couldn't possibly be that old ;) Maybe Peterve's is really one that Hitler designed.

I think the head on mine was a option of some sort
I did have a similar FP2 once with a head like the OP`s from the same vintage
The one pictured above defenitly has no separate electrical cabinet
All electrical components are inside the stander

I just got in a second one frm this vintage with all the original electricals still in tact
Looked like cr but also like the first one runs real nice

I think the head on mine was a option of some sort
I did have a similar FP2 once with a head like the OP`s from the same vintage
The one pictured above defenitly has no separate electrical cabinet
All electrical components are inside the stander

I just got in a second one frm this vintage with all the original electricals still in tact
Looked like cr but also like the first one runs real nice

Peterve,
Would you be able to provide a range of what I can expect to buy this machine for? I am not too familiar with these machines. What is the advantage of using this over other milling machines?

Thanks,
Bob

Peterve,
What is the advantage of using this over other milling machines?
If you don't know the answer to that going in you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. Would be a bit like a first time car buyer buying a Ferrari rather than the Ford or Toyota he should be buying.

If you don't know the answer to that going in you shouldn't be buying it in the first place. Would be a bit like a first time car buyer buying a Ferrari rather than the Ford or Toyota he should be buying.

So if I get a great deal on this machine I should forget about it because I've never used one before? Can you provide constructive criticism so perhaps another generation of machinist can take advantage of this unique piece? "Thanks" Milacron.

So if I get a great deal on this machine I should forget about it because I've never used one before?
Unless it's nearly free you won't have a clue if it's a great deal or not because you won't have a clue what might be wrong with it. Bottom line is it's ridiculous to want a Deckel FP2 when you don't even know what advantages it has over other milling machines. You need to work your way up...get a Bridgeport M head or something if you are just starting out.

If truly pristine, with many attachments, then it could be worth around $6-$8k at most, IMHO. If you got it for $3.5k or less, that's approaching screamin' deal. This is true ONLY IF the ways don't need scraping, the transmissions are unworn, the spindle tapers are nice, and no one has crashed it, dropped it, backed a forklift into it, let it get rained on, etc. Price depends on the attachments, too. What attachments are you talking about?

I see no need to start with a Bridgeport M. If you are lucky enough to land an FP2 as your 1st mill, and you can afford it, go for it! My problem, like that of most young learners, was that I could not afford the good stuff back then, so I started with a $495 Bridgeport M out of necessity. Actually, I started with a hunk of angle iron bolted to the compound slide of my dad's South Bend 9" lathe. Starting with the good stuff might have saved some frustration.

For me this would be a perfect first milling machine
When you buy a Bridgeport you are put on the wrong foot about milling posibilities
The advantige of a FP2 compared to a Bridgeport is you now it is you and not the machine when having problems milling
This being a very old design I agree with rklopp for the price But he I am in europe

BTW this quill has a 100mm stroke while the "normal" design just has 60mm
So there is the advantige

Peter from holland

For me this would be a perfect first milling machine
When you buy a Bridgeport you are put on the wrong foot about milling posibilities
The advantige of a FP2 compared to a Bridgeport is you now it is you and not the machine when having problems milling
This being a very old design I agree with rklopp for the price But he I am in europe
If he is lucky and there are no bad problems and price is cheap, it may be fine. I see none of you have taken the bait to write a long thesis on "the advantages of this type of mill over others" however. Lazy one sentence question that would take a page of writing to answer adequately.

If he is lucky and there are no bad problems and price is cheap, it may be fine. I see none of you have taken the bait to write a long thesis on "the advantages of this type of mill over others" however. Lazy one sentence question that would take a page of writing to answer adequately.

For us PM it is just entertainment
For you it is work nowadays so we leave it to you and the ones on pension :stirthepot:

Peter from holland

I purchased the Deckel and everything thing else the gentleman was selling. I now own a Deckel and a 1997 Bridgeport Hardinge with DRO and power x, y and knee (extremely low hours or very well maintained). There is too much other items to list. I'll be posting updates because some of the equipment will be available...

Back