What's new
What's new

FP2 Dial Indicator On The Vertical Axis

Degull

Aluminum
Hi everyone. I have a 2 axis DRO on my FP2, and I would like to use a dial indicator on the vertical axis. I have been using a magnetic base with dial indicator but I am getting tired of setting it up all the time. Anyone using a dial indicator on their vertical axis care to share a picture of their setup?
I know there are many ways to do this, I am trying to get an idea of what the original Deckel setup would look like.

Hi there,

check your manual where it describes the gauge block method for accurate axes movement. There is that holder for a dial indicator and then the movable base and gauge blocks.

But I would strongly recommend getting a scale. Even a cheap chinese one, they are less thatn $100 per component (scales and monitor). Will transform your life!

BR,
Thanos

I wanted to reinforce what Thanos said. I don't think there is any upgrade to a mill or lathe which brings more return for the money than adding a DRO. I'd be more inclined to spend a few hundred on one, but I know several people with cheap asian DROs (less than $250 for three scales AND a display!) and they are happy with them and say that they work well.

I am trying to resist buying a cheap scale. I plan on replacing my 2 axis DRO with a 3 axis in the near future. There are not many pictures online but I get the idea of using the precision blocks and a dial indicator.
I will start looking for a suitable replacement.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I might have a Heidenhain ND960 available to me. I am going to upgrade to a 3 axis DRO. Thanks everyone!

Back