What's new
What's new

FP2 (and FP3) attachements interchangeability (old to late models)

thanvg

Hot Rolled
Hi to all,

stemming from Bruce's comment here: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...rizontal-quill-367129/index2.html#post3403316

and doing a lot of daydreaming (it's not illegal to dream, right? ), I was wondering.
If I ever found the tens of thousands of Euros required, and a machine itself, I would like to have a late square FP2 or FP3.

Would the attachments that I have with my 500mmX FP2 work?

I think that tables will fit (it's the first FP3 that have different spacing on the vertical table, but that might only reduce possible positions).

But what about heads? Would the angular head or the slotting head that I have fit the newer models?

I think they might, but not sure. Don't have documentation on these newer Deckels as well, a brochure I guess would answer my questions.

BR,
Thanos

AFAIK...all the accessories for the larger family of machines (FP2, FP3) will fit over the entire machine line, first gen through the final "aktive" versions.
There is no difference between the FP2's and FP3's as to vertical table spacing
Some were built having only 3 "T" slots (an economy move i suspect) but the overall spacing is the same.....Don't know about the FP4...will await Matt's response on that....
Same story relative to the accessory use with the FP3NC, FP4NC's. (vertical table spacing on the NC's is different at 63mm c/c)
The FP2NC is in the same family as the FP1 so if you have an FP1 and its accessories and you want an NC that will use those same accessories then the FP2NC is your machine....
Believe even the large FP4 will accept the FP2/FP3 accessories, but it requires an accessory shim set for the dovetails....

Cheers Ross

I've run FP2/ FP3 heads on the FP4 (2700 series machine) with the adaper gibs. The t-slots on the FP4 for table mounting and on the tables themselves are both larger width and have larger spacing than the FP2/FP3.

AFAIK...all the accessories for the larger family of machines (FP2, FP3) will fit over the entire machine line, first gen through the final "aktive" versions.

Some were built having only 3 "T" slots (an economy move i suspect) but the overall spacing is the same....

Cheers Ross

Thanks Ross, that solved a problem I, most probably, will never have to face, but good to know!

In more real life conditions, I had guessed similarly about the 3 T slots on the early FP3...so, tables fit, but not that many positions to fix them, vertically. Understood

Thanks
Br
Thanos

Back