What's new
What's new

FP5NC not starting up Dialog 4

Parkerbender

Stainless
Hi all,
So, I have a FP5NC which I am trying to get fired up, and I can't seem to get the screen to light up. When I throw the power switch I get a whole bunch of LED's lit up in the cabinet, but nothing on the console lights up. I think from the instruction manual that I just need to press the green power on switch, but it doesn't respond. I am hypothesizing it may be an E-stop problem, as the machine came with one MPG pendant, and two other pendants that just have an E-stop and Cycle start/stop and I *think* tool hold and release buttons. The MPG pendant connects to the bottom of the control console, but I cannot find where the other two pendants are supposed to connect. (so I am assuming the machine is seeing an E-stop circuit open, and not turning on.) Step the first, does anyone know where those other two pendants are supposed to connect? In the manual it doesn't address them. There is one cannon plug on the right side of the column but the conductors look to be in different spots than they are in on the cannon plugs for the E-stop pendants, and also the locking part of the plug on the machine side is stripped out so I can't check to see if the keyed portion of either pendant fits it properly.

Can I tell what is holding it up by the led's in the PC portion?

Thanks for any help, I do have the book, but it really doesn't address what to do when the screen doesn't light up and give you an error message...

-Parker

CRT should show all three axis with the main power on..(don't need to power on the control to get this)
Axis positions will show regardless of E-stop condition......

First thing to check is the dimmer for the CRT. Under the operators station there is a knob on the right side.
It controls the brightness of the display. If turned all the way down, the CRT will not show anything....try turning it up with the main power on.
Usually takes several minutes for the CRT to warm up after turning on the main power, so be patient...

Be sure you have the tool change pendant plugged into the socket on the left side of the "X" axis.....below the servo motor.
This is an FP5 (oops forgot) so the location of the tool change pendant connector might be different.(maybe some larger photos).. you have to have this connected..its part of the E-stop string.
Can you post a photo of the tool change pendants?

If you get a display, then we can figure out why the machine won't start....

For starters, all the led's (red) should be lit on the NSV board (last board to the right in the operators console, right next to the CRT assembly) If they all aren't lit then you got to start looking there.

Cheers Ross

Also in the electrical cabinet one of the cards is the NPP90.
There are 2 LED's that should be green.
1 for E (empfangen= receiving)
1 for S (senden=sending)
If one is not green, there is no communication with the NPP54-55-56 in the console and this may cause black screen too.

For starters, all the led's (red) should be lit on the NSV board (last board to the right in the operators console, right next to the CRT assembly) If they all aren't lit then you got to start looking there.

Cheers Ross
If the LEDs are not lit on that board, check the fuses on that board. One of them out was keeping my CRT from lighting up.

So, I am getting all of those lights, but still no screen. There is a note in one of the books saying to do some trickery to get it to boot, and also there are a couple wires coming off the ...(I think it's a 'memguard' battery?) battery on one of the boards, you can see that in the picture kindof, also.

Here are a couple pics:

Facebook

photo

IMG_20210202_141759.jpg

Facebook

photo

IMG_20210202_142220.jpg

I have tried to turn it on, pull the 'K10' ribbon cable off the boards, shut it off, reinstall and restart like it is saying, and it has seemed to not do anything...

...(I think it's a 'memguard' battery?)

No one has mentioned the backup batteries yet. If the machine has been dormant, there's a good chance the 3 sets of backup batteries are dead or failed. My D4 wouldn't start when the batteries in the operator console went dead, I understand that's common. there's lots of discussion here about it, others know more than I. I replaced the 2 3.6V batteries in the electrical cabinet with rechargable batteries I bought from McMaster, the console has a made up battery holder with a bank of 6 rechargeable 1.2V AA batteries to get the correct 7.2V voltage.

It's ALIVE!!!!!!! I swapped new batteries into the three spots, and it fired right up!

So, it has a couple error messages, I just used the PM image server thing, I am hoping that is sufficient. IMG_20210210_132645.jpgIMG_20210210_132611.jpg
I am assuming that that mostly is what happens when it loses all its parameters? Should they be hiding somewhere in the books, or is this not that straightforward?
Thanks!
-Parker

Here's the reinitialization procedure - Copied from one of AlfaGTA's posts, and recopied back here. You only need the last 4 lines, but I'm positng it all for future use. You should be good to go, the parameters are stored on eeproms AFAIK.
----------------------------
Dialog 4 Control reinitialize procedure

All stored programs will be lost...!

Main power on, power on the control.

Open the cover of the operators station (where the boards are exposed).

Pull the K10 jumper that bridges 4 boards.

Pull the green power connector (X120) from the NSV power supply board.

Re-connect the K10 jumper.

Reconnect the X120 plug

Switch to mode 16.
power up (control On button)you will be prompted to clear (delete/red key)and enter(green key) should get a message that the control is testing...then it should start.

While in mode 16 you must select the measuring units if you want METRIC (M) then the enter key,if you want INCHES ( I ) then the enter key.

You will need to re-enter your settings for file transfer if you are using the rs 232 port.

Ok! So. It reinitializes and seems happy. If anybody is interested in it, I am taking offers!

Thanks so much for all the help, and please someone give this guy a good home! I can email pictures if anyone wants them, it is such a pain to post decent ones here, I can at some point, but it's just so east to email...

-Parker
[email protected]

Back