What's new
What's new

FPI apron getting too tight?

Trboatworks

Diamond
What’s the problem here guys- the X feed screw on table has been getting more draggy.
The mill has been running fine now it seems like a gib is too tight.
That lock on the apron does not seem to do much right now either and it used to lock up firm..

Ideals?

Thanks all

Has it been getting oil as it's supposed to, not asking if you oil it regularly instead have you looked to see oil on the dovetail guides and verified oil flow.
Another thing that could make it drag is a dirty or very worn screw and nut. I had a dirty X axis screw on a used machine I brought home and it would seize up at the last inch of travel, it had the accordian covers on that axis and that last inch of the travel was never used. I ordered a replacement nut and cleaned it all up and now only shows .002" play on the entire travel.
It could be something else (thrust bearing, Gib that is not locked in place or has a chip jammed in it, etc.) but the other things seem the most obvious. Other than all the expensive engineering and build costs that went into them the machines are pretty straight forward.
I hope this helps.
Dan

Dan, thanks,
Just so I am using the correct vocabulary- the apron is sticky on right/left movement.
Up/down feed is fine as is the forward and back of the vertical head.
Everything is lubed well- I took off the covers and brushed oil to everything and ran the table back and forth to make sure.
The only thing I am thinking is I have had the apron locked when taking cuts with largish two flute end mills and had the table shift.
I am wondering if this could have slipped end play nuts on screw or something.
I am not fluent on how these are adjusted.

I can crank the apron over with one finger on handle but clear draggy feel- very even all the way over and back- really feels like a too tight screw or gib- kind of like it would feel with the apron lock tightened up a bit.
I backed off the gib screw a half turn to no effect.

Edit- pulled the gib off machine- no change- still sticky.
Feels about as much pressure on wheel to move X as the wheel takes to lift apron- maybe a bit more.

Hi Deckeleers,

From the description given probably one of the locking inserts could be jammed against the lower dovetail.

DSCN1384.jpg

This is a view of the saddle with the table and X slide removed. The locking lever rotates and pulls the insert into the lower dovetail of the x axis. One possibility is that the thread on the locking lever is partially stripped and is not pushing the insert away from contact. You will need to remove the end plate from the left hand side to peer in to see if the insert moves as it should. Then remove the right hand plate to do the same fr the right hand.

Alan

Dan, thanks,

The only thing I am thinking is I have had the apron locked when taking cuts with largish two flute end mills and had the table shift.
I am wondering if this could have slipped end play nuts on screw or something.
I am not fluent on how these are adjusted.

Edit- pulled the gib off machine- no change- still sticky.
Feels about as much pressure on wheel to move X as the wheel takes to lift apron- maybe a bit more.

I seem to think that your machine is a generation 2 with 2 dials for shifting speeds/feeds? I don't think there is an adjustment for end play on those, mine had a one piece double row ball bearing unlike the earlier ones that had 2 sets of thrust washers and two bearings with spanner nuts for adjustment.
It could be something with the locking devise as suggested but I would pull the screw and nut out to clean and inspect them both, be a good chance to inspect the feel of the thrust bearing too. If nothing looks or feels wrong there then the next step is to pull the table/saddle and inspect that locking set up.
As I said, they are pretty simple but everything is made so precise that it doesn't take much to make it seem like something major is wrong, fortunately not usually the case.
Dan

Thanks.
I missed vintage- mine in a mid 60’s lever machine.

Another observation- the machine has lower resistance when going slow- the wheels will even turn a bit on their own if a handle is up.
Try to move fast and the going is tough.

I have a theory- cold shop.
I am using Vactra no. 4 way oil heavy.
Too sticky when the shop is cold?

Mobil Vactra No. 4 Way Oil

Back