What's new
What's new

g-code number fonts

rimcanyon

Diamond
Does anyone have some g-code number subroutines you would not mind sharing? I need to engrave degree numbers on the rotary base I am making for a Hilma vise. ¼" fonts would be great. I could always just write my own, but why reinvent the wheel?

IMG_1096.jpg

Do you have Fusion 360? It has built-in single-line fonts in the sketch tool which you can then "trace" with one of the CAM tools. Beware that your machine will not be able to keep up with he code and will pause during the cut. This is not great for tool life, but mostly unavoidable on a 35-year-old CNC. Of course it is OK when using a non-rotating drag engraving tool. A drag engraver won't work for what you are doing.

Do you have Fusion 360? It has built-in single-line fonts in the sketch tool which you can then "trace" with one of the CAM tools. Beware that your machine will not be able to keep up with he code and will pause during the cut. This is not great for tool life, but mostly unavoidable on a 35-year-old CNC. Of course it is OK when using a non-rotating drag engraving tool. A drag engraver won't work for what you are doing.

Rich, no Fusion, no CAM. I have a g-code only setup with no internet connection (the usb-serial converter stopped working I think, and I need to do some searching to find a replacement that is not a piece of crap), so I pretty much write everything on the fly. G-coded digits using straight lines and arcs would not be a lot of work, a few hours programming, but its such a basic thing I am hoping someone already has done it and can share.

Rich, no Fusion, no CAM. I have a g-code only setup with no internet connection (the usb-serial converter stopped working I think, and I need to do some searching to find a replacement that is not a piece of crap), so I pretty much write everything on the fly. G-coded digits using straight lines and arcs would not be a lot of work, a few hours programming, but its such a basic thing I am hoping someone already has done it and can share.

My "AirLink" USB/9-pin serial convert has been bulletproof for almost 15 years. It is even amazingly plug-n-play with a USB-A/USB-C adapter so that my new MacBook Air with M1 chip can talk to my FP2NC. That's a 2021 computer talking to a 1986 computer! I use the app "Serial" to do the communicating.

Dave:
Won't help with your D-2 control unfortunately! But when i had my machine installed by the factory rep in 93', he gave me several programs.
One of which was a lettering program that used the control peramiter programming (D-4) to modify the size of the lettering.....You called each letter as as sub and entered values into your
peramiter file that controlled the size of the produced letters....
Worked fine as i recall, but when i got a real CAM setup (SurfCam) it became redundant.....Might still have a hard copy, i will look on Sunday when i am back at work....Not sure you could enter
hard values for the parameter variables to make it work in your case, will have a look.
Cheers Ross

I hand-coded the numbers and will be running some tests today. I learned about machining ovals using the four arc method due to all the ovals in numbers. The key point being that the axis of the middle arc is collinear with the axis of the starting arc and the point where they intersect. Also, the sum of both arcs is 180 degrees.

I also had to figure out how mirroring and 90 degree rotation work from the simple perspective of X,Y,Z,I,J & K, and how to convert code from XY plane to XZ plane.

The way Deckel designed the geometry of the machine, it is harder than it should be to transfer a g-code program from the XY plane to the XZ plane. I.e. from the perspective of the cutting tool (or the reader of a font), +X is to the right in the XY plane but it goes to the left in the XZ plane. Which means to convert a program written for XY plane to XZ, you change X to -X, Y to Z, I to -I and J to K. And if you want to change a font that reads left to right in XY plane to one that reads up to down in XZ plane (design change, mea culpa), you change X to -Y, Z to -X, I to -J and K to -I. I need to get that serial port working and dust off the Perl coding skills, that would definitely make this easier.

I think my next machine should have X+ going away from the operator and Y+ going away from the column, then XY plane and XZ plane would machine the same.

I think my next machine should have X+ going away from the operator and Y+ going away from the column, then XY plane and XZ plane would machine the same.

Think that only works if you have a single spindle machine....Something has to be inverted when you change the orientation of the tool....
In Deckel's case they opted to keep all depth moves either "Z" minus or "Y" minus...If you changed the orientation of the X then the depth moves get crossed.(left hand rule)...For my money better to keep the depth moves
all going the same way...

Cheers Ross

Back