What's new
What's new

Gillardon Drill

adh2000

Titanium
Picked up this Gillardon drill. Made in Germany definitely has the Euro look. Never heard of this brand. Anyone have experience? Good/bad?
d175bed2a0faf8dd88da98efec3cdd2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never heard of that brand before but my first thought is it looks heavy and well built. Share more about it please once you get familiar with it.

Hmm. Since it says “Made in Germany” rather than West Germany it must be 1990s or newer. Looks older to me though. What do you think?

Wonder how on earth it ended up here. Some purchasing agent got his sausage smoked I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bought 7 machines in Italy 3 in Germany and 1 in France last week
Warehouse is full right now
Perhaps next year or so
I have to inspect them though
Do you pay for the flight???

Peter ,

Did you purchase from a dealer? Reason I ask is that if they were shipped to you, and it was a private seller, did you contract an Italian company to do the crating and logistics? Do you have crating and logistics providers you deal with in Switzerland, Germany, Fracen, Italy ?

This Oerlikon X-Y table was on Ricardo.ch some time ago. Don't recall if seller was dealer. Assuming it is a private seller who is not willing to crate or ship it, how much would it cost to have a company in Switzerland palletize + cover it , then ship it to you ? The table weighs around 150kgs.

UB2-table.png

I always arrange the seller to strap it down on a pallet
Its been a while since I sold anything to Switserland ( I never buy in Switserland because its not a EU country)
But I estimate shipping to be 200 euro incl exportdocument assuming it fits a 60x80cm pallet
But I find it very kind of you you ship me the table But I have no use for it :D

Peter

We're getting off topic, but what the heck...

A few years ago I shipped 2+ metric tons of machine from Switzerland to Germany. Two pallets, one with a Studer grinder, the second with a few hundred kg of accessories. Peter, yes, I did need to pay 19% VAT coming into Germany, but I knew that before settling on a price, so was OK with it. Pickup/Shipping/Delivery were done by Kuehne und Nagel, and could not have been faster/better/easier. Total cost was 380 CHF for the shipping plus 50 CHF to handle the customs formalities at the border plus 35 CHF for extra insurance. In total this was less than 400 Euro, for about 1000km including the foothills of the Alps in winter. Pickup was on 12 December 2017, delivery three days later.

I was also very happy with the delivery, see some photos here:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/abrasive-machining/studer-rhu-450-1960s-343863/#post3091433

I would not hesitate to do it again.

Last edited:
Hearing all the horrorstories here on PM About cost of shipping The need to crate machines and even so lott of damaged goods I can tell you shipping here is Europe is very well organized
As a example All internatial transport within the CMR area (europe and some more)is automaticly insured for a max of €10/kg (So Bruce Perhaps you payed dubble) Truckers are very contious in strapping and handling
Damage of goods is very rare All of my machines I ship that are not going by boat I just strap down on a sturdy pallet I purposly do not wrap plastic around it as that makes the driver uncomfartable strapping the machine down Afraid of damaging the wrap. I just spray them with a light conservating oil

I am even more lucky as I am in the hart of all of it
I have several big European shipping compagnies in a 35km radius

Peter

Hi Peter,

I can tell you shipping here is Europe is very well organised.

You have written similar things before, which was one of the main reasons that I found the courage to proceed as described above. You were right, and the people I came in contact with were experienced and smart. All in all, I think shipping and transport work better and cost less in Europe than in the other places I have lived.

Cheers,
Bruce

I always arrange the seller to strap it down on a pallet
Its been a while since I sold anything to Switserland ( I never buy in Switserland because its not a EU country)
But I estimate shipping to be 200 euro incl exportdocument assuming it fits a 60x80cm pallet
But I find it very kind of you you ship me the table But I have no use for it :D

Peter

I was thinking that if I found something in CH , it might be cheaper to have it shipped to you and you to ship it to me because I get the feeling your shipping , rigging and packing contacts would be substantially less expensive than anyone I could find.

And the other problem is that sellers over there in Continental Europe probably do not want the hassle of trying to deal with someone in the US.

I was thinking that if I found something in CH , it might be cheaper to have it shipped to you and you to ship it to me because I get the feeling your shipping , rigging and packing contacts would be substantially less expensive than anyone I could find.

And the other problem is that sellers over there in Continental Europe probably do not want the hassle of trying to deal with someone in the US.

Some problem I see is that I am a machinery dealer Therefore not permitted to act as a forwarder Then there is the problem of CE marking
Importing goods from outside the EU require a CE certificate I do not know how it goes if I export them again
Then there is the hundred or so e-mails going to and fro to get all the noses in the same direction
What I have done in the passed is that when a person had bought a machine from me we added some nicks and nacks I bought for him on German Ebay or so

Peter

Back