What's new
What's new

Going to Colonge Germany : Deckel Accessories??

dazz

Stainless
Hi
I am going to Cologne in 2 months time.
Does anyone know if there is somewhere I can buy Deckel accessories?
I am specifically after a horizontal milling cutter arbor.

I don't speak German so I don't know the right question to ask Google

Dazz

When in Cologne, make sure you visit the Kolsch breweries near the Cathedral. Gaffel I think was preffered by my in-laws, but the Fruh brewhouse (5 minutes walk from the train station) is one of my favorites.

Bonn is worth visiting, as is Dusseldorf.

Hi
Thanks for the pointers.
I don't have any horizontal arbors so anything that fits would do the job.
If I need to, I will make them.

Dazz

Might be a big ask, I'd try to find arbors that take imperial cutters, they always seem more prevalent in this neck of the woods - expect enzed isn't too much different.

FPS manufactured some imperial size arbors for my recently purchased FPS 300 M, nice arbors, but expensive.

Also, if you need contacts at FPS, send me a PM, I can forward to you.

Hi
I have a collection of 1" bore cutters that I can't use without an arbor.
I suspect that Deckel arbors are all metric.

I don't have the time on this trip to get out of Cologne but I expect to go back again next year. I can then make the time.

Dazz

I have a collection of 1" bore cutters that I can't use without an arbor. I suspect that Deckel arbors are all metric.

It's possible to get inch arbors in Germany, but not nearly as easy as metric ones.

Do you have a cylindrical grinder? It's easy to grind a 27mm arbor down to 1 inch (25.4mm). You could make up a custom stepped key so that it could be used with imperial 1" spacer rings and your 1" cutters.

I tried to grind down a Deckel 27mm arbour to 1", it broke through a layer of what could have been case hardening. It was soft as butter underneath, hardened cutters were putting deep scratches in the arbour. So I sent it out for Nitriding and it warped like a dogs hind leg. Then bought some buttress thread adaptors from Singer and made one up out of 4140 PH. This was an older MT4 arbour, new ones may be different.

Last edited:
I had extensive conversations with FPS about the idea of grinding down metric arbors to imperial, and they STRONGLY advised against this approach.

Some inch sized "40" taper milling arbors on e-bay .
These are not uncommon here in the US.
Most have the NMTB setup that has a straight section at the end of the taper.....
Cut that off and thread in a Deckel metric style thread (adapter) that fits your draw bar....(20x2.0 buttress)
Pretty sure that Singer sells the thread adapters, of make your own...much simpler than attempting to change the size of a metric arbor...and most of
the ones i see are right here in the US.....

There are also some that have "BT" , or CAT tapers which would not require cutting the end off, just the appropriate end thread added to the stock part....There all the same taper...No need to shop outside the US...
Plenty of sources right here.....
Might need to rework the end support bearing on the arbor to fit the Deckel overarm bushing...again that 's simple turning.....even if you need to make one from scratch....

I would surely look to acquire Deckel specific accessories when in Germany...Horizontal arbors would not be on that list.

Cheers Ross

Hi
The sort of Deckel accessories I would like to buy won't fit in a suitcase. Nor are they located in Cologne.
I have lathes and mills but no precision grinder.
Buying used from the USA is probably going to be cheaper than making a travel deviation to a Deckel supplier in Europe.

An arbor combined with the cutters I already have will give me a whole new capability I don't currently have at a low price.

Dazz

Back