What's new
What's new

Guesses as to ocean freight of new machine from Austria to USA ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
1420 kg weight, crate size 1930 x 1120 x 1840mm. Seller is large concern and completely trustworthy, but they want me to deal with all the shipping cost/paperwork direct. The Mikron mill I bought from Peter (NL) was similar weight and crate volume....could I use that as rough guide or might it cost me more doing everything from this end ? (or Austria vs Netherlands difference in truck to port cost ?)

Cost significantly more than a year ago...

More importantly- what did you buy? Square head Deckel FP2?

L7

Last time I had a crate like that shipped, it was around $1500 all up, but that was years ago. I would not be surprised, post covid, if it was 2 to 3 grand these days. And a bunch more to have it shipped inside the USA- I was able to pick up myself at the port.

I used to work in the cross country shipping business but have arranged my own within North America. No not the same as marine shipping at all, but one thing I learned real well is there's vast differences in costs between shipping company's. And dealing with the better known names like Fed Ex, DHL, etc ALWAY'S means a large jump in price because somebody has to pay for all that advertising. And many times the big companies will just farm your LTL or in your case less than container load out to a smaller company anyway and then take a large cut for shuffling some paper work. If it were me I'd get maybe a 1/2 dozen different quotes from various company's first. And I'd probably stay away from the very lowest price as that usually indicates there cutting corners somewhere.

Last time I had a crate like that shipped, it was around $1500 all up, but that was years ago. I would not be surprised, post covid, if it was 2 to 3 grand these days.
Going to Asia, as of a couple months ago prices were down. (Trump's Tariffs really helped US export firms). 20' container from Charlotte to Qingdao was $2500. If they give you a giant price for ltl, maybe just do a 20 footer.

Try these guys for a price, maybe. They are usually good

NOVA SHIPPING
SUITE 234 6960 ORCHARD LAKE ROAD
WEST BLOOMFIELD MICHIGAN 48322

1420 kg weight, crate size 1930 x 1120 x 1840mm. Seller is large concern and completely trustworthy, but they want me to deal with all the shipping cost/paperwork direct. The Mikron mill I bought from Peter (NL) was similar weight and crate volume....could I use that as rough guide or might it cost me more doing everything from this end ? (or Austria vs Netherlands difference in truck to port cost ?)

One doesn't guess. Per a C&W Private Networks client whose very bizness was building and selling the databases for the indusry to use - (the reason they NEEDED the global networks), Ocean Freight rates are among the most gnarly database challenges as have ever existed ...and change constantly. "Big world, many players" thing.

One takes the "well established" providers who are known to hold to their quotes and lets THEM deal with all of that.

Austria actually has sea acess via the Danube AND the Rhine, (see Rhine-Danube corridor.) but your more likely routing for a modest-sized load to a US East Coast port might be overland to Rotterdam, then overland within the USA, again, as "your" nearest seaport may not be in "their" best package at all.

Or it could be:

https://www.icontainers.com/us/2019/02/12/largest-east-coast-ports-in-the-us/

EU end, Peter in Holland would probably still be the most aware of which providers to ask for a quote ... and whom to not even bother with.

Back