What's new
What's new

Is this a Heidenhain DRO ? (photo)

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
The scales are Heidenhain but never seen this model display from Heidenhain before.

IMG_1356.jpg

Opened up the back of the cabinet and no manuf tag anywhere on it. Curiously it has DB15 axis connectors but their gender is backwards from current models.

Doesn't look Heidenhain-ish at all to me.
LOL...well since you put it that way...I agree...so speculation as to who did make it ? Naturally my otherwise impressive Emco FB4 manual has absolutely nothing on any DRO

Never seen that keypad style from Heidenhain before but the LED section looks like several VRZ7XX Heidenhain counters I have.
The DRO buttons look Heidenhain-esque but not the layout.
Post a photo of what the display looks like- excited to hear your review of the EMCO and how that Euro-deco paint job works for you.

The TOS version of this mill had the same layout for the counters and buttons but had orange lcds and was marked heidenhain. The buttons also had the typical square with rounded corners shape that the vintage heidenhain controls always seem to use. Wonder if they hired out someone to copy the original equipment to save money? Would seem to be at odds with the otherwise German quality fit and finish of the mill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is just possible that is an Elesta DRO. The readout area looks similar to the presentation on my old Elesta unit, but that DRO had thumbwheels for entering numbers, so very much older. Elesta DROs seemed to use Heidenhain scales; at least the ones I have seen did. I can't see what the display actually consists of. Does it use 7 segment red LED displays, rows of them to make up the display area?

It is Emco IMHO

On their lathes they have the same and on all 3 axes they have a different
methode of measuring On the topslide its a encoder The other 2 are a glass scale and a magnetic scale
3780049-6.1533883102__.jpg

Peter do you by chance have a manual for the Emco DRO ? Specifically I need the secret to changing displays to inch function. There is a light for inch but no button ... suspect it’s done by entering a P number

Have some Heidenhain stuff from that era, not sure if it helps you but, FWIW:

Press "CE" then "1" AND "0" to access "P10."
Then P10 will hang on the display awaiting input of 0,1,or 2
P10.0 is mm display, P10.1 is inch and P10.2 lets you choose inch/mm from Preset key #4.

Suspect there is a lot of sharing going on behind the scenes among various Euro DRO makers, judging by the similarity of appearance, design, function of various DRO and scales I've seen over the years.

..it looks to be in very nice condition!
It is... spindle is so quiet even at top RPM, as new backlash. Interesting the way the horizontal tools are secured via a shaft on the side of the ram that turns the drawbar, rather than at the rear as on Deckels and Mahos. Also there is a separate motor for the axis feeds....two speed but not DC....which seems odd as seems like if already designed that way it would actually be cheaper to go with DC motor, DC drive but no need for all those pesky transmission gears.

Also....probably true of the FB3 more than the FB4...but in photos these mills look kinda "sheet metal-ish"....whereas the reality is just the opposite...the column is thick solid iron both sides...no plastic cover like on Deckels. (of course the Deckels are also "thick solid iron" behind the plastic ;) )

Press "CE" then "1" AND "0" to access "P10."
Then P10 will hang on the display awaiting input of 0,1,or 2
P10.0 is mm display, P10.1 is inch and P10.2 lets you choose inch/mm from Preset key #4.

Suspect there is a lot of sharing going on behind the scenes among various Euro DRO makers, judging by the similarity of appearance, design, function of various DRO and scales I've seen over the years.
Unfortunately that didn't work. I even tried many variations on that theme, still nothing....Emco must have made changing to inch mode a deep dark secret for which one absolutely has to have the manual. :angry:

Naw, think they were attempting to emulate "Fanuc" at that time and having the DRO read in inch was an option...
Feature is present , but you have to pay $2500.00 and have the service guy come out to turn it on.....:eek:

Cheers Ross

Naw, think they were attempting to emulate "Fanuc" at that time and having the DRO read in inch was an option...
Feature is present , but you have to pay $2500.00 and have the service guy come out to turn it on.....:eek:
It is maddening to have that little "inch" light bulb taunting me when all they had to do is provide a damn "inch" button to turn it on :angry:

IMG_1363.jpg

Interesting the way the horizontal tools are secured via a shaft on the side of the ram that turns the drawbar, rather than at the rear as on Deckels and Mahos.

Is there a horizontal spindle? If so, how does it work, I don't see a way the vertical head would flip, or swing out of the way?

Is there a horizontal spindle? If so, how does it work, I don't see a way the vertical head would flip, or swing out of the way?
Yes. Works like a Maho.... unbolt 4 bolts, pull head out an inch or so enough to clear (there is a heavy duty sliding/pivoting bracket always in place on top to hold the head) the horizontal spindle, swing head over to the left side of the ram. You can either leave it there unsecured or bolt it to tapped holes in left side of ram just for the purpose.

As a side note...Maho also had the horizontal drawbar access exiting the side of the "Z" (Maho) slide on some versions of their manual machines....Not unique to your new toy.
Cheers Ross

Back