What's new
What's new

Heidenhain linear gauge on an early FP-1?

DJ2

Aluminum
I have a 1950’s FP-1 with the provision for Jo blocks to make precise movements in the three axes (pre-digital). There is a bracket for an 8mm hole over the gauge locations for a very small dial indicator, really not a lot of room. Now I have a Heidenhain VRZ401 (single axis) readout sitting on the shelf. And I see these used Heidenhain ST linear indicators on the internet that would fit nicely into the 8mm dial indicator locations, but almost all of the linear gauges I see on the internet have the 15-pin output. Is there anyway to adapt the Heidenhain 15 pin rectangular shape connector to the round 9-pin connector. Application is the Heidenhain linear gauge ST (TTL output). If I’m on the right track for a low-budget digital readout, are there pin-out diagrams for re-wiring these? Or is this just a dumb idea?

Attachments

• Heidenhain VRZ.jpg
    Heidenhain VRZ.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 49
  • ST.jpg
    ST.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 38
Your read-out uses 11 microamp (11uA) scales with 9-pin connectors. Those are NOT TTL signals.

A common model of probe that produces 11uA signals which you can find on Ebay is the MT series. For example here is an MT-30 in New Mexico (note: I have no connection with or knowledge about any sellers below). The 30 means 30mm of travel.
Dr John Heidenhain Digital mebtaster MT30 | eBay

Here is a smaller unit, with 10mm of travel:
DR. JOHANNES HEIDENHAIN DIGITALER MT10 GAUGE | eBay

I think both of these have 1 micron resolution, which is about 0.000040", meaning 40 millionths of an inch. That should work well as a zero reference for gage blocks.

Here to a good summary document on the different types of Heidenhain interfaces:

https://www.heidenhain.de/fileadmin/pdb/media/img/1078628-22_Interfaces_en.pdf

Pinouts and detailed specs can be found here, for all Heidenhain standard interfaces, starting on page 121:

https://product.heidenhain.de/JPBC/image/FILEBASE_PUBLIC/517651_10_a_02_1.pdf

Last edited:

Back