What's new
What's new

Heidenhain TNC 135 Power Control

sandiapaul:
By the machine number (400P) you can tell the travel in teh long axis (400mm) give or take, and the "P" stands for "positioning". This is one of those manual machines with a "Smart" DRO. You cam program it to move to a point and stop automaticaly. I believe that machine has just one feed servo motor, and the position is achieved by using electro magnetic clutches to stop at the target point, the operator must first manually engage the axis desired to make any controlled move. It can not make an angled cut as it can only run one axis at a time, likewise it cannot make circles or arcs. Most likely it has conventional screws so the feel of operation is that of a conventional machine. Not sure what if any support exists for that control. For more information, wait a week and Don will give everyone here a detailed description of his new purchase. :D

Cheers Ross

I presume it's the same TNC 113 that Deckel used on the final generation FP manual machines, but I'm mystified why it has a CRT screen as that would be totally unnecessary unless it's slightly more elaborate than the TNC 113 and has some program writing and memory capability as well. Definitely point to point though..one axis at a time and no ballscrews. Year of this Maho is probably about 1978. Sure is a "skinny" little thang, ain't it ?

Don:
Believe the CRT is there to show the operator the "program" steps, or blocks. The numerical registers show position like a DRO, the CRT reads the line number and description of what is being run. Believe programs can be stored saved i think via magnetic cassette. It is a sort of hybrid CNC/DRO. Got some pictures of that display from a Maho brochure circa 1981. Description is a little vague but the picture shows the CRT with text line numbers and position numbers displayed in a vertical arrangement.
Cheers Ross

Always amazes me when eBay sellers put up an ad for a machine with a CRT screen and are too slack to actually show it "on"...unless of course it won't come "on" in the first place due to malfunction !

Like I said in the Machinery Manuals & Brochures forum All the manuals from Heidenhain can be downloaded from www.Heidenhain.de
Here you can download the manual for the TNC135
Even in Englisch
The front page of the manual says it is a point to point with straigt cut
Hope this wil be of any help

Didn't Deckel put the TNC 124 on the final conventional Deckels? I posted a pic here last year of the FP4MK I played with.
That thing had an LCD screen and you could enter programs into it, Then, when finished with the program writing you went into working mode and the screen would show the tool path and offset.
All you had to do on this "manual" machine was to push the control stick in the desired direction for each (linear along axis)move.
This MAHO looks like that. Nice looking machine btw.

Martin, actually DMG used the TNC 123, which is similar to the TNC 124 but was developed just for Deckel, such that all the knobs for basic electrical functions are just right for the FP series. Unfortunately for us English only speakers, it was only available in German. (which is ironic considering the English terms on many of the push buttons)

In fact if you download the TNC 123 manual at the Heidenhain site, you will notice, unlike the TNC 124, it says "contact Deckel" for service...Heidenhain apparently doesn't support the control at all !

For more info on the two controls, complete with images, see this thread

Martin Peitz
No this one is fully programable on 3 axes but 1 axe at a time
there is one motor for the feeds and 3 electro magnetic clutches for xyz So they can control the direction This is different from the TNC111 and 113
These can be programmed but have to be engaiged manualy

This is different from the TNC111 and 113
These can be programmed but have to be engaiged manualy
The method of engaging axis is different on the Deckels and this Maho, but that is not a limitational function of the TNC 113 itself, but just the way Deckel set up the system to operate.

The method of engaging axis is different on the Deckels and this Maho, but that is not a limitational function of the TNC 113 itself, but just the way Deckel set up the system to operate.
Mr.D.Thomas Do you know this as a fact or is it just a thought
Because reading the manual on the website from Heidenhain I come to another conclusion And my Englisch may not be so good, My German is. Here is the text I am refering to

Die, vom Maschinenhersteller montierte, externe Achsrichtungs-
Anzeigelampe leuchtet auf und zeigt an, welcher
Kupplungshebel in welche Richtung geschaltet werden muß.

Translation
The external indication lights for direction of the axes, provided by the manufactorer of the machine, lights up and shows which clutchlever has to be engaiged in which direction

If that is not enough here is some more

Nach dem Schalten des Kupplungshebels verfährt die
Maschine und stoppt automatisch nach dem Erreichen des
Positions-Sollwertes.

Zu Beginn einer Positionierung wird durch die Steuerung TNC 113
überprüft, ob die Maschine in der richtigen Achse und Richtung
fährt. Ist eine falsche Kupplungsschaltung vorgenommen worden,
so erkennt die Steuerung nach einer Verfahrstrecke von 200 um
die falsche Verfahrrichtung und schaltet den Sollwert ab.

Or am I wrong anyway

It would seem like the control would have to be functional for the machine to work even in manual mode.

I can't help but wonder if the control died, and was not repairable, if this machine could in fact be "salvaged" as an all manual machine. Probably not a trivial save?

I'm remembering bits and pieces of German reading this forum
No on the screen, machine runs all the time.
I'll wait for it to break, or work slack off.
We're kicking around the idea of a control retrofit.

We're kicking around the idea of a control retrofit.
Welcome to Fantasy Island ;)

Cheaper and less headache to just buy another newer CNC Maho that doesn't need a retrofit ! Even "way back in 1988" the Phillips 432 control did most things they do today...thread milling, DNC, etc. Or hold out for a 532....

Well, the little eBay Maho MH400P ended up selling for $3,800...pretty cheap considering it's sort of the equivalent to a final generation Deckel FP1 or FP2 in many ways.

I didn't go more than $2,500 because I need it like a hole in the head...just wanted to see what a Maho of that ilk was like... and shipping would have been another $1,500. Good buy at $3,800 though if not much needed electronically.

Still, makes it all the more ridiculous that the much newer and nicer (and known absolutely to be so, unlike this "iffy" one) 1992 manual MH400 on eBay, also in Southern California, previously at $9,500 can't get a single bid. Guess it comes down to the ability of small shop guys to conjure up cash in the $4,000 range vs conjuring up over twice that amount.

Of course "we" were all in there bidding in the last 4 minutes, thinking how smart we were for not showing our hands too soon ! :rolleyes: ;)

I wish i had seen this before the auction ended. I might could have made a difference to some of your biddings, if I told you i have 3 copies of the
"Operating and programming instructions, TNC 135"
Almost 300 pages of information on that control.
David from jax

Back