What's new
What's new

Hermle 851 UWF Spindle Bearing Replacment

BugRobotics

Stainless
Hi all,
The last few days my Hermle spindle is getting a bit warmer than I'm used to down near the taper. After getting a drawing back from Hermle, I believe the lower taper bearing may have some contamination or just starting to go south. Drawing is at the link (a bit too big to upload). Pretty cool that the quill is used as the outer race of the taper bearing. Hopefully the quill isn't screwed.

I found the bearing and Isoflex LDS Special A grease.

Plan was to thoroughly clean the new tapered bearing (I may throw it in my ultrasonic bath unless someone has thoughts against it). Repack with the grease, install and adjust the internal spanner to the spec given (0.005-.008mm axial clearance). I haven't ever had this spindle apart. Directions to remove seem pretty straightforward but we all know how that goes.

Looking for any knowledge regarding the repacking (quantity-they call out 1/3 full, or packing technique) of the tapered bearing, any special cleaning I should do before hand, other general tricks. I've packed my fair share of bearings but something tells me quantity and technique may have a big impact on performance. I've read through the many spindle bearing replacement threads over the years and will plan to peruse them again. Anyone who has any pertinent info regarding this bearing arrangement I'm all ears. Thanks!

Links below are to the drawing, removal instructions and adjustment instructions.

Hermle Spindle Drawing
Hermle Spindle Removal Instructions
Hermle Spindle Adjustment Instructions

Back