What's new
What's new

Hauser 2A3 Jig Borer request for knowledge

rimcanyon

Diamond
I've mentioned before that I came home with a Hauser 2A3 Jig Borer in addition to the Deckel FP1. It is a really interesting small jig borer, with a MT 0 quill, and has some interesting accessories (centricator, optical centering attachment, collet arbor with collets, Albrecht chuck, and a few other MT 0 threaded arbors).

It evidently had been sitting some time, judging by the waxified grease inside the head. I took the head apart, replaced two bearings, cleaned & re-greased everything, and got things working the way they were supposed to. I was very impressed by the design and attention to detail. The head's input shaft has a hollow core, with an internal shaft that is geared to the 150-3000 rpm speed dial. i.e. the internal shaft normally is fixed and is rotated only to set the speed.

I don't have a manual for it, so I am figuring out how it works by taking it apart. That works, but there is undoubtedly a better way to go about it. I'm puzzled by the transmission device (egg-shaped cast housing which the input shaft with internal speed control shaft originate from). I haven't taken it out of the machine, but I'd like to have some inkling of what it is and how it works before I tackle it or choose to leave it alone. If anyone has some information on it I would love to hear some details. It is located in the upper arm adjacent to the head, and it is about 12" long, 4" dia. with a finned egg-shaped casting.

thanks-

Dave

[ 09-28-2005, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: rimcanyon ]

I have a manual for the 2ba (and the machine) and if you like can scan some relevant pages. I am going to have a go at posting a pic from photo bucket, but I havent done this before.
hauser2.jpg

Peter

I had my variator apart, its an interesting bit of mechanism, manual says factory service only, I think. Mine was out of time so would not work put it back the way I figured it should go and it works better but not perfect. It has a dead spot where spindle stops completely also can't figure what holds it at a given setting. They sure are a fine machine!!
Bob

Holy smokes that looks like another version of the variator concept used in a Colchester Chipmaster, but in a jig borer? Was it made by Kopp? If so you might (!) be able to get parts for it in Toronto. Cheers, Stan.

Hi Dave and all; I now have an original manual for the Hauser Type 2A3 in my mits ... do you still need one ?

Please let me know as I will have to return it to its owner reasonably quickly :(

Peter, thanks for posting the pictures. That is an interesting device. It is not obvious how it works :cool: , anyone care to explain?

Is the variator in an oil bath or is it in grease?

Millflyer, email response is on the way.

Bob, one thing I observed when I had the head apart, is that the position of the speed dial in relation to the gearing is adjustable with the head on the machine. i.e. remove the bezel around the speed dial, and you can pull on the knob to slide spring-loaded assembly forward to disengage and re-time the gears. So possibly the dead spot is the zero RPM location. I would guess that the adjustment process would be to locate the dead spot, turn the knob in the direction that indicates increasing speed on the dial until the speed is 150, then disengage the gears and set the dial to 150.

-Dave

Here is an exerpt from the manual

"The speed variator "Contraves" provides infinite speed control between 120 and 3000 rpm. It is controlled by the knob on the front side of the boring head.
Power is transmitted through a rolling movement. The rolling parts are of the hardest, precision cut materials. They only form point contacts, thus permitting transmission of precisley defined movements. The gears run in an oil bath of low viscosity. The high specific pressure at the point of contact displaces the oil so that gliding and, hence, a loss of power is impossible.
The transmitting element of the speed variator consists of four balls. Two pressure units, depending upon the torsional moment of the load, press the balls against the two races on which they roll. These races are positively coupled by an input and output shaft respectively. These balls are so oriented by the four guide rollers that the former can only rotate around a given axis, thus producing variable speed trasmission. The rotation axis of the balls is determined by the temporarily desired speed ratio."

btw to milflyer I would appreciate a copy of the electrical diagram of the 2a3, as I have a 2sb with an electrical fault. The 2sb is a combined 2a3 jig borer, and 2s internal jig grinder in one machine.

thanks
Peter

This thread is the top Google search result for the phrase "Hauser Contraves Jig Borer".

Just a note to the next person with a slipping Contraves Variator. Here is a link to a descriptive .pdf of the gearbox ==> Contraves Variator

Variator.png

Hauser_Contraves.png

There are two pages of warnings in the Hauser manual not to attempt the repair of this device. It could very well probably be old waxy grease that is causing the slippage at high speed. How can I best clean this thing without taking it apart???

Thanks

I just brought home a small Hauser jig borer that has sat for a long time (like ten years) what should I know before I start spinning the Contraves Variator?
Thanks
Todd

Hi Todd

Here is what I've found out, and what my plan of action is, as soon as I get the Santotrac 50. May be here tomorrow.

I'm going to double check that IPA takes Santotrac into solution (dissolves), and purge the hydrocarbon lube from the gearbox with IPA. Then drain the IPA as good as possible and purge with Santotrac. Then fill with fresh Santotrac.

Here is a nice e-mail I got from Santotrac:

Thank you for the call about Santotrac 50. As I understand your question, you have a CVT that is currently using a hydrocarbon product that you wish to flush and switch to Santotrac 50. Since Santotrac 50 is compatible with hydrocarbons, if you can get a complete drain no flush is required. That said, any contamination of Sanotrac 50 will affect the traction coefficent properties. For that reason the ideal flushing product is Santotrac 50 itself. We recommend that you:

Drain the CVT completely
Fill with Santotrac 50
Run the CVT for 30 minutes to ensure complete circulation
Drain the used Santotrac 50
Fill with fresh Santovac 50

I hope this information helps you. Please let me know you received this email so I know we've connected. If you require anything else please call me or reach back out via email. Thank you again for your interest in Santotrac 50.

James C. Pennington, Jr.
Vice President of Lubricants Division
Santolubes LLC

I'm going to do an intermediate purge (without spinning the transmission under power of course) with IPA because it is much much cheaper than Santotrac and is a better solvent.

Finally, if you don't have the manual for your Hauser, I've scanned mine (German) and shared it on Google Docs:

Hauser 2BA ==> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-r0kOumKPg2YjZva2FmeG5wZ00/edit?usp=sharing
Hauser 2BA Schaltschema ==> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-r0kOumKPg2WGlob3p5LTc4M0U/edit?usp=sharing

This is the first machine that I've got that wants 5 lubrificants!

hauser_oil2.jpg

Which machine did you get???

Cheers
<jbc>

Hi John:
The machine I have is a Hauser P325. I am going to start anouther thread in the next day telling about it and going to get it. This involved driving about 3000 miles round trip.

All it would take is a J-head and a few hours on the mill !

Since its all fantasy anyway, might as well dream big. Such a high class machine deserves something a little sexier than a j-head. One of these could probably be shoe-horned to fit.

20120509_122435.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing Todd's P325 thread.

Hi all,
I have just found a hauser 2DR jig borer at the factory I work, it seems to be working but no one knows how to operate it and I cant find the manual anywhere(online and offline). I'm wondering if anyone has a manual and I would really appreciate if I can get a digital version of it.

Back