What's new
What's new

Hilma vise jaws

rimcanyon

Diamond
I recently acquired a Hilma 125 vise that came with a pair of roller jaws that slip on the vise bottom and go between the regular jaws. The rollers exert a downward force due to the ramp on the back part of the jaw. They seem lightweight (the roller pivot is a 3 or 4 mm split pin), but I haven't tried using them. It appears that all the clamping force gets transmitted through the rollers, since they stand proud of the rest of the assembly, and even if they get forced down by the ramp on the backing part, the rest of the jaw doesn't clamp the work. The front part of the jaw is held in place only by a pair of shoulder screws in a slightly oversize bore, so it moves freely until it comes up agains the vise base.

Anyone else have one of these and can comment?

IMG_1294.jpg

Anyone else have one of these and can comment?

I have a pair of these but don't use them. When I want downwards clamping force, I use a different Hilma jaw attachment, shown here:

When to use downthrust jaws? When NOT to use them?

By the way, I have never taken out one of the rollers, but assumed it was a solid rod with small holes at each end for a retaining pin. Is it really a split pin?

Thanks for the photo. It appears that the roller is solid, but that the rotation/retaining pin is a split pin. Is that right, or am I seeing it wrong?

retaining pin is a split pin. Is that right, or am I seeing it wrong?

Most likely a roll pin.
Just there to retain the roller. Roll pin to maintain a press in the body of the jaw.

Pretty suspect of any multi part device used for holding work ....big chance of getting chips in the parts and making its function "not" not to mention that could easily affect accuracy.

Cheers Ross

Back