What's new
What's new

How do I move the ram on an Abene VHF-340 ii

Spud

Diamond
Handwheel is locked. I tried. ADH2000 tried.

Has powerfeed on all axis

No locking nuts I can find. Only locking nuts for the diagonal ram

According to Abene you can move all axis without machine under power. Yes I did ask Abene about moving the ram ,but no response.

Abene-horizontal-ram.jpg

According to Abene you can move all axis without machine under power.

Willing to bet that you need power on to move the hand wheel, or perhaps air.
Not familiar with that machine. If you have a mechanical power feed clutch on that slide then likely you don't need power.
But if the feed is via "servo" style motor that is constantly connected then likely the motor will have an electric brake that requires power to release.

Your machine is different from other VF-340's i see on the net. Yours has an additional feature at the rear of the ram....Looks like a hydraulic or electric motor??????
Suspect this difference is where your problem lies and maybe the confusion on it not needing power to move.
Other VF-340 look to have locks on that slide, where yours does not, which suggests it is held another way....suggest you power it up and try the hand wheel.
Cheers Ross

I just remembered the old thread I made of said machine and the PM member Andy St linked to an Abene VHF-340 that was at auction in the UK, but that one did not have the motor for the horizontal ram . It had 2 locking nuts for the diagonal ram and 2 seperate locking nuts for the horizontal ram. Mine only has the locking nuts for the diagonal ram.

So It certainly looks like I do need power to move the horizontal ram.

Old thread below
1994 Abene I bought : Can the horizontal ram be moved manually

Pics from UK auction of a VHF-340
Abene-VHF-340-II.png

Abene-VHF-340-pic-2.png

Mine, pics taken when I picked up machine about a month or so ago.

Abene-1.jpg

Abene-2.jpg

Abene-3.jpg

Abene-4.jpg

Abene-swivel-table.jpg

Spud:
The usual arrangement for a setup like yours, is that the motor is engaged all the time , so either you have to rotate the screw or the nut by that motor unless it has a mechanical clutch.
If the motor is always engaged, then the hand wheel must move the motor to move the slide.
Generally the builder would want some way to hold the slide , hence the brake on the motor.....This is how the Deckel FP-NC's work with hand wheels...No power, and the slides won't move.

Nice looking machine by the way....
Cheers ross

Spud:
The usual arrangement for a setup like yours, is that the motor is engaged all the time , so either you have to rotate the screw or the nut by that motor unless it has a mechanical clutch.
If the motor is always engaged, then the hand wheel must move the motor to move the slide.
Generally the builder would want some way to hold the slide , hence the brake on the motor.....This is how the Deckel FP-NC's work with hand wheels...No power, and the slides won't move.

Nice looking machine by the way....
Cheers ross

Thanks Ross

Alan (adh2000) looked at it. I believe he said it looks likew new or in great shape. Was orignally purchased by United Airlines.

I forgot to ask about the bracket that holds the arbor for horizonal milling. It didn't come with the machine and I never thought about it. Alan asked me if I had it, and only then did I realize I was missing it. Need to contact auctioneer and seller to see if I can find it. I do have the horizontal arbor.

This is the current Abene that seems closest to mine, a VHF-350

SMT ABENE | VHF 350 | Frasmaskin | Swedish Machine Tool Company

Abene-VHF-350.png

Wonder if anyone in the US has an Abene similar to mine or a newer one?

In the worst case, an overarm support with bearing would not be very difficult to make....Just a plate with a dovetail or round bore and a clamp, bored for a bearing.
Make the bearing a plain bushing...fitted with an undersize bore,then finish in place by boring using the horizontal spindle.....
Cheers Ross

Back