What's new
What's new

How to move Deckel FP1 tables

drcoelho

Stainless
I'm in planning process for my new FP1 setup in shop and trying to work a way as one-man shop of installing/de-installing various table options on the FP1. FPS says that it is ok to attach eye-screws into the t-slots/nuts and then use a hoist to pickup the various tables (one of which weighs 150 kg). Wondering whether other folks have used this technique and want to confirm that the t-slots are strong enough to hold the weight of the entire table.

I handle my Aciera mills' table using a folding 1-ton engine hoist and a piece of Unistrut angle clamped to the surface of the tables using two t-slots, nuts, and studs around the balance point. The hoist's chain is attached to the vertical leg of the angle. The angle has long legs with two holes in each leg. The hole spacing in the angle is very close to the t-slot spacing. Rather than use the hoist's hydraulics, I can fine-tune the elevation using the mill's Z axis. The legs of the engine hoist straddle the base of the mill. When not in use, the engine hoist folds up agains the wall, as I am rather cramped for space.

I'd love a compact hoist solution as an engine hoist is too unwieldy for my space. Haven't found one I like yet.

I use a hydraulic lift table. Made risers for the wheels so it can span the base of the mill. It's not super easy to exchange the tables but saves space as the table is going to be nearby anyway.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

My current thought is to run unistrut trolley/tracks across ceiling, they are rated up to 500 lb. and to have a storage shelf that has roll out shelves...then I just move the options back and forth between the mill and the shelving.

If your shop has the required headroom, you'll be hard pressed to find something much more efficient.

The T-slots are more than strong enough to lift the tables. Wich FP1 table is suppose to weigh 150kg ? May be the 2037 (rotary/tilting) comes close to that figure but 150kg sounds heavy to me, even for that one.

What TNB said. What FP1 table weighs 150kg? I loosen the bolts and slide the table off and set it on the bench. Where's the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't use eye bolts, instead I use two swivel hoist rings with 3/8" bolts and T nuts that fit the slots. On the spiral milling attachment I lift it with two automotive V belts on either side of the mounting area, didn't like the idea of drilling and tapping any holes in it. For any of the heads one V belt works for me on those.
Dan

Overhead lifting is best if you have the head room....no floor space consumption,
Fixed track is fine if the floor plan is static...I have trouble settling on a "final" position for my machines as things change.

At work we built a free standing jib crane. More or less all the main iron is located Around the circle of the crane reach, to include the FP3, FP4NC , Kondia Powermill, and the
Berco BC4 line boring machine...also in the circle is a shop built rack that holds vises, rotary tables, Dividing heads,index spacer....
Crane also reaches the Lista cabnet that houses additional tooling....
Have used that jib crane to remove and install the "Tool Makers table (2038) on my FP4NC, using the "T" slots which by the way is shown in the Deckel users manual....

attachment.php

Home setup has an articulated arm crane (Spanco) mounted from above (14" glue lam beam) that reaches the entire floor space of the machine shop (addition to 3 car garage)
Articulating Jib Cranes - Spanco

Cheers Ross

What TNB said. What FP1 table weighs 150kg? I loosen the bolts and slide the table off and set it on the bench. Where's the problem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've actually got an FPS 300 M which is modern flavor of FP1. Anyway, here are my options and weights:
- swivelling fixed table: 60kg
- swivelling turntable with indexing: 113kg
- indexing head with counter support: 64kg
- Rusnok (high speed head) with custom mount: approx 150 lb

A Skyhook will handle 200 lbs w/no problem. they claim 600 but I think 200-250 is plenty. I mounted one on a sturdy rolling table to handle heavy items. Having it on a table give you a place to immediately set the item down at work height for cleaning before you store it

20180709_114408-800-B.jpg

I didn't know about these gadgets, it looks very convenient. Is yours tall enough to swap Deckel heads?

I think so, but if it isn't, a longer piece of tubing for the upright would make it able to. The Skyhook conveniently slips closely over a 2" OD tube, the one I used was a random piece of welded seam tubing about 16ga that I had nearby and it's plenty rigid. I made brackets with 2' holes to slip the tube into so it can be removed when it's in the way of using the table.And there's nothing special about the table, it came home from an auction purchased with something that was bolted to it and it became handy in the shop for a workbench and for storing heavier items. The stock skyhook chain is about 6' long, I put a piece in that was 10' long so the hook would touch the ground and it has more left over, the chain just slides down inside the upright as it's cranked up. I had hoped to use it for the 4th axis on that mill behind it but it's not nearly up to that, (600 lbs) but it's great for 8" Kurts and 8" indexers on the manual mills and such - things that are just a little too heavy for one man and too small for 2 to handle.

For lifting tables and other accessories I am using a big handle with two bolts in the T slots. This allows a nice balancing of the the load. I have a 1T overhead crane (a nice 75 years old device).
cabinet.jpg hoist.jpg

here is idea for table removal and storage kit from Mikron WF 41 manual

It's clear how you get the table on and off the machine, because you can use Z to lift the table off the legs or put the table onto the legs. . But once the table is off the machine, are you supposed to leave the table standing on the legs? If not, you still need a lift or hoist to get the table off the legs.

On the positive side, these legs are easy to store since they lie flat.

Back