What's new
What's new

Another FP2 With Grease In The Oil Galleries

Degull

Aluminum
Hi everyone. I have been social distancing with my FP2. I have not had any time to use it since purchasing it last year. Since the virus has shut everything down here in Canada I have suddenly plenty of time on my hands.
I modified a grease gun to pump Mobil Vactra 2 into the way galleries and was disappointed to find grease coming out of a hole in the sight gauge on the non operators side.
The machine runs great other than a small problem with the rapid transverse. I have to really press on the rapid transverse lever in order to get any axis to move at the highest speed.
I am assuming that all of the oil fittings have been serviced with grease. Will I have to tear the machine down to clean all the grease out?

I made up a tube out of 1/2 copper to help service the feeds and speeds gear boxes.
26EF88C0-C189-43A9-9EA1-DE4346D6A703.jpg
The oil in both gear boxes were pretty dirty. I filled them back up with mineral spirits and run the machine for a minute.

Getting the oil in was easier I bought an oil can with a long flexible funnel. Now draining the gear box that was a real pain.

As for your original question, for me I ended up tearing it down. It's the only way to be sure oil is getting to all the places it needs to and to get rid of the grease.

Plenty of posting here on this matter. (search)...There really is no quick and easy shortcut....
But most owners want to check the condition of their machines before running their machines for any extended peroid.
Cheers Ross

I agree with Ross, there is no quick and easy shortcut but there is a wealth of information already here which allowed me to do the same tear down, clean, and inspect that you are in for without any concerns or questions really. I also recommend that you don't stop with just the X and Z assemblies. Go ahead and break down the Y and the vertical head for cleaning and inspection as well. It should not be too surprising how much grime there is inside the machine considering the age which is why the thorough clean is due before first use is needed.

Also don't let the initial response of do a search scare you off. It is just that there is so much information and pictures in the other threads on this matter that it cannot be possibly conveyed here again with any accuracy. The folks here are very helpful and extremely knowledgeable so if you do run into issues or questions along the way don't be afraid to ask.

Welcome
Shawn

Oh and to get the most attention pictures are a must

I appreciate the responses from everyone. I will research a tear down. I was hoping to get away with using it for a bit before having to restoring it.

I really appreciate the help guys. I plan on keeping my FP2 for a very long time. I’ll admit it, I am a little scared to pull it apart!

Yeah it is pretty scary to contemplate. But photo document everything and organize all the parts you remove and it's not that hard. The most intimidating part would be lifting the saddle off. You will need a crane for that, and preferrably to take off the vertical table as well, a worktable on castors helped too with the vertical table removal and reinstallation. So you can slide it off to the side while supported and the crane also holds it for extra security.

Hi Ross,

Don't think getting the grease out would be considered "restoration"....This is maintenance, something the last owner failed at!

Of course what you write is correct. But once the support is open and all the parts are accessible, it would be stupid not to inspect and repair anything that is amiss. So even though this starts as "maintenance" it is fairly likely to morph into something more.

I’ll admit it, I am a little scared to pull it apart!

It's a good sign that you feel that way! If you don't take care and think carefully you can easily screw things up. But you will find that this group has a number of people who have done exactly the same thing on exactly the same machine, and will help you at every step. Just post photos, ask questions, and think carefully about the replies.

One of the reasons that I am an enthusiastic contributor to this forum is because of the help that I got, five years ago, when I needed to fix up my FP2. I would not have been able to do it on my own -- the help I got here from people like Ross, Tien, Peter and others made it possible. I use my FP2 very often -- most recently two days ago -- and it "just works". Fixing up your FP2 will take time and attention (and probably a bit of cash) but it's worth it. They are beautiful, solid pieces of engineering. With regular maintenance will easily outlive you, once you have addressed the problems.

Hi Ross,

Of course what you write is correct. But once the support is open and all the parts are accessible, it would be stupid not to inspect and repair anything that is amiss. So even though this starts as "maintenance" it is fairly likely to morph into something more.

Pretty sure we might have different definitions of a "Restoration"

Disassembly and removal of the old grease i think fits into the category of maintenance.
Discovery of any broken or worn parts to regain function is ,in my book "repairs"

Doing all the above and returning the machine to factory fresh....ways scraped or reground, new bellows and wipers , new belts and bearings and paint...as the machine left the factory....that's a restoration...at least in my world! :D

Cheers Ross

Doing all the above and returning the machine to factory fresh....ways scraped or reground, new bellows and wipers , new belts and bearings and paint...as the machine left the factory....that's a restoration...at least in my world!

OK, I concede. What I am describing is "repair" not "restoration".

Back